Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled breeding temps?

L

lia

Hello
I recently read an article in Reptile magazine about a person that bred his marbleds.He kept them outdoors in summer but under his patio.
I have marbled for 3 yrs now but they never bred. I keep mine in my basement its 63 in winter gets to 70 tops in summer.
I would think that keeping them outside in summer tho under a patio in temps 80 plus would be to hot because they cant escape the heat by digging in the soil.
Mine are doing very well and seem happy they both live together in 20 gallon long with soil,moss, shallow water dish but again they never bred.
Anyone here breed theirs?
Thanks.
Lia

E

edward

Hi Lia,
Have you looked at the article on caudata culture under species accounts?
This may give you a good starting point for reproduction of this species.
I read the article and while he doesn't mention the origin of his marbles I suspect they were collected in his area (now illegal in New Jersey). This is possibly what caused the animals to cycle and reproduce when exposed to the local conditions.
If the terrarium was in a sheltured location, it is possible that the microclimate was similar to the microclimates the salamanders would choose to inhabit during warmer weather.
Reproduction in this species is not that difficult if you raise larval marbles as this way they will imprint on your husbandry conditions and be more likely to reproduce. It is entirely possible to spawn them indoors and successfully rear the larva. The actual trigger for deposition is humidity and females warmed up to about 72 F and then cooled back towards the mid 60 F should ovulate (although mine would still ovulate without the cycling after several years).

Ed

H

henk

In holland there have been reports from breedings, also there the animals were kept in outdoor enclosures.

In Belgium one person has bred his too ; also in outdoor enclosures... but couldn't reproduce them a year later.

So they like it out there I would assume .. The first to breed them indoors in a tank , that would be a challenge...

J

jennifer

Speaking of marbled sals... Caudata Culture needs photos of adult A. opacum. Anyone have a good shot?

H

henk

Yes Jennnifer I have quite some shots of juveniles, larvae and adults (even a juvenile with a double tail), but it may take me till sunday to do so, since I'm foo to Suisse tomorrow (giving a lecture on Hynobidae) and I need to scan those in. So give me a ady or 3 will you ?

L

lia

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Edward Kowalski (Ed) wrote on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 05:27 :</font>

""<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Hello
I hope you get this because I am not sure how to reply on this forum. I didnt look under species accounts didnt know there was one but going now.
thanks.
Lia

E

edward

Hi Henk,
I have bred them for several years in a row in a totally indoor facility in five gallon (18.9 liter) aquariums.

Ed

L

lia

Thanks the link was great help. Thanks everyone for your replys.
Lia

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!