Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N.E. Ambystomid movements

T

tw

Waitin' for the first spring rains to bring out the troops; nothing yet in MA... Anyone else?

N

nimbus2

I wasn't able to catch actual breeding activity, but I've seen egg masses of tigrinum and maculatum so far here in MO., as well as opacum and annulatum larvae. Next week I may head down to talpoideum/texanum country too.

J

john

Nimbus2, what species/subspecies of tiger salamander do you have in Missouri?

R

roger

It's raining right now as I type this! I checked the local breeding ponds on 03/27 but I did not see any yellow spotted salamanders or egg masses yet. I am hoping that the yellows are moving tonight or tommorow night and I am checking again this Saturday, 04/03/2004. I live in upstate New York and we have both yellow and blue spotteds in our area. I will keep you posted.

R

roger

Well I checked the breeding ponds yesterday and nothing
sad.gif
Last year my girlfriend and I found larvae in the same pond. Of course the salamanders are not under obligation to breed in the same spot. About one half of the breeding pond bank can not be checked because it is so overgrown and cross-laced with fallen trees.It is possible the breeding is going on in the places we can't see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!