Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Long-Toed Salamanders?

Z

zach

I am trying to breed Central Long-toed Salamanders, and Boreal Toads, But I don't know how. I know they need a cool period, but how do i get it that cold? And if i did produce larvea, what do I feed them? And who would like juviniles if i have some for sale? Email me if you have suggestions.

H

henk

Zach, this are many questions to put outi n just one phrase.

I have A. macrodactylum nominate species, which I keep in my gardenhouse (frostfree in winter , but close to 0°Celsius ). the tank consists out of broken stones with openhole (bricks with isolating perforations), on top of which I install mosscovers (sphaghnum alike). They hide in those mosspolls or inbetween the holes in the stones. The tank is soaking wed and filled with 15 cm of water. In the water I keep twiglike plants (substrate for eggdposition). I have reporduced them the last 3 years. I currently have F-2 generations and some other people have even bred f-3 out of my offpsringanimals.

Food : earthworms, tubifex, slugs, fly-maggots... in fact anything that is soft and which they can overpower.

For feeding larvae I would refer to my article in the axolotl newsletter nr 28 (it's downloadable) at http://www.indiana.edu/~axolotl/newsletter/newsltr.html.

Take the time to download it , I think/hope it is worth it

H

henk

IN 2002 we had a major faalback in Europe for this species, with several animals dying off with several keepers (the same age groups). So I am happy to be able to annouce thatr I will at least have 25 juveniles again of my 5th consecutive breeding. Lucky for me I kept 5 juveniles from the former breedings so that next year, if all goes well I may breed them again. It seems that this species is not longliving and that we should take in mind to keep several age groups in order to be able to continue our work. Other then that they are not that difficult to keep, rear or breed and I kind of like them alot !

D

david

Nice picture Henk. I'm sure Rob is jealous.Good luck with the eggs and keep us posted

R

rob

Give it a few years, and hopefully I can place photos like that up here!
happy.gif

H

henk

Well it seems that quite some of those eggs were indeed fertilised, so my year is good already...

H

henk

Well I have dropped my digital camera and the lense broke. It still works from time to time for closeups, but .. not for tele. (Here me cursing ?). That's one of the disadvantages of a bridge camera I guess...

H

henk

Well thanks for the congrats... will still take a time to rear them but I will do so with much pleasure. I only hope I succeed in rearing a good group since the French group seems to be interested in getting some ....to exten their groups
Overall this species doesn't seem to be doing so well under captive conditions, few seem to be the ones that can keep them for a longer period : loosing interest or standing of the offspring to quickly. I try to keep a group o 6 to 8 each year of my own offspring since they do no seem to be so longliving after all...(about 5 to 6 years to my knowledge)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!