Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about Spotted Salamander(Ambystoma maculatum)

C

carlos

hi all:

i'm a amphibian lover, and this is my honest to discuss in this forum. Recently, i am looking for the information about the Spotted Salamander(Ambystoma maculatum) and i found that their have some diffience colour for this animal, my queston are listed as follow
1)why they have diffience colour???
2)How many diffience colour are they have???
2)what we call these colour phase???

Thank You

N

nate

Hi Carlos, it's just normal color variation in the species. As far as the spots, they tend to be yellow, but some populations have orange spots on the head. Some populations can also have a bluish sheen on their sides, but most are simply dark brown to black.

These color phases do not appear to follow any geographic pattern and they do not have names.

C

carlos

hi Nate:
oh..... i see!! Thank You!!! ^_^

Do you mind if you can tell what is that creature showed in your picture? (very cute) Is this a salamander?

R

r

Hi Carlos,
Adding a little to Nate's comments. As a species, spotted salamanders are very standardized in color and pattern, but occasionally individual variations are found. Melanistic examples that lack all/most dorsolateral spots are well documented. These often retain vestiges of spots on their head however. Albino examples have also been found. But as a whole spotted salamanders are merely robust, dark-colored salamanders with yellowish to orange spots. These are among the earliest salamanders to enter the breeding ponds, often being present in quite considerable numbers while ice still rims the ponds. Cheers/Dick

R

r

Hi Carlos,
The example depicted is a little lighter than normal. It may have been maintained in a sterile environment against a light-colored background. But it is not an unusual color, nor could it be called a "blue phase."
Its color would probably darken some if kept on a dark background and/or allowed to burrow. Rgds/Dick

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!