N. strauchii behavior with fish

S

sal

Hello all, I am considering a large stream tank for my strauchii and was contemplating adding some schooling fish (e.g., zebra danios). My strauchii are currently very bold but I am concerned that adding fish to their tank may cause them to grow shy. I read a paper on this species by Serge and it was noted that at the only location where strauchii occurred with a fish species (Cyprinidae if i recall) the animals were noticeably shyer. any thoughts??
Thanks!

I do know someone who keeps strauchii with white cloud minnows, and he has not had a problem with the newts becoming shy. However, I'm not advocating putting fish with them.

Another thing that would make white clouds a better companion species than danios is that they tolerate cold better (easily down to 45F). WCM are similar in size to danios and are also schoolers. Do you have any plans to incorporate a chiller into this tank setup?

I was not going to use this tank for their winter/breeding tank; I realize that zebras can't go much lower that the mid to upper sixties. With this display tank (a 55 gal), I was hoping to get away with not using a chiller at all. I have been pretty successful at keeping the water temps below 70F (even in dead of summer here in LA) with very strong and continuous air (i.e., evaporative) cooling...all made possible thanks to our low relative humidity, of course.

I currently have white clouds in another tank with some marms...with no probs. I just think that zebras are more active and tighter schoolers than white clouds.

I have four almost adult strauchii with several fish, including white clouds, a Hong Kong Goby, a platy, and a weather loach. It's a very happy busy tank and everyone gets along fine - although the newts definitely rule the tank. One thing, though, I make frequent water changes.

We found N. strauchii in one mountain stream living together with some cyprinid fish (although I would certainly not recommend accompanying newts with fish in an aquarium).

Yes, Frank, I believe that was the observation I was thinking of, thank you. Do you recall the average size of that fish species, and do know whether it was a naturally occurring species or an exotic?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back