Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Overwintering N. kaiseri

A

alan

In preparation for breeding next year, how should I overwinter my N. kaiseri? They have been kept in a well ventilated semi-aquatic setup at 20-25C all summer and seem fat and happy, but never enter the water.

I'm thinking 10-15C over winter, but for how long, and how should I treat them afterwards?

Thanks,

S

sergé

Well, I have kept them in an aqua-terrarium until now, temperatures have dropped now to 18 degrees and they enter the water frequently. Last year I kept them like that and it resulted in very fertile females but a male who wasn't in the mood... The females now also are very fat and devellop already their tube-like cloaca's.
Now I'll drop the water level and let the tank dry out. Then I'll try to keep them terrestrial, and at temperatures between 5-10 degrees for two-three months and then re-enter them in their aqua-terrarium. But...it is just a try.

A

alan

Thanks for that. You think it's nessecary/advisable to go as low as 5-10C?

S

sergé

Well, I don't know, but it surely won't harm the animals. But it would be interesting to compare, if you don't do it and I do...we spread the risk.

A

alan

A good idea! I'll aim for terrestrial conditions, 10-15C with reduced illumination for 10-12 weeks, then back to 15-20C, gradually raising the water level to encourage them to go aquatic.

A

alan

Watch the For Sale section Ralf!
happy.gif

Seriously, I like the idea of this collaboration. Any more kaiseri keepers want to join Sergé and I in this experiment?

justin

Reaction score
This would be an interesting experiment. I would recommend doing behavioral observations as well as photographs for documentation. Also taking temperatures during different times of the day throughout the experiment would give more of an idea. I'm interested to know whether day/night changes are as important as changes over time. In some frogs in South America the day temps don't vary much, but the day/night ones vary quite a bit.
j

S

sergé

I was reading the german information on the AG Urodela site and there is a piece by Jochen Kopetsch who says he keeps them around 10 in winter time. But I'll keep them as said from half november on until end of january (or so) at lower temperatures. I think it is good to write down actual temperatures (so hanging a meter inside and write it down preferably every day, but I know I can't do that).
I would be interested in seeing someone keeping them aquatic at temperatures around 10 and then in Spring raising the temperature with 5 degrees or so. More or less like Jennifer Macke did with here aquatic kept N. strauchii.

justin

Reaction score
Forgive a foolish question, but these drops in temperatures are only for cycling to reproduce, you do not subject immatures to the same temperature drop do you?
j

S

sergé

I didn't raising them but of course it would be more natural to do so!

justin

Reaction score
True. My only contention would be that it may be less natural since they don't have the same refugia as they would in the wild to find an appropriate location to prepare for the temperature drop. So perhaps with their small size (and surface area) this could be doing harm. I could be way off though.
j

A

alan

I don't think many keepers would deliberately subject them to the temperatures they are likely to encounter in their natural range, thus we mimic the moderating effects of a hibernaculum.

justin

Reaction score
Alan, I'm in complete agreement. Coming from a dart frog husbandry background it's very interesting me that you actually have to do some husbandry work and adjust temperatures for reproduction.

On a side note, but yet related, what is the status of N. kaiseri in collections? It seems in the US N. strauchii is doing alright, but as I understand they are the more 'common.'
j

A

alan

I give my dartfrogs seasonal variations because I believe this is beneficial to long term health and breeding success, although not extreme as need from most caudates from higher latitudes of course. It also cuts my frogroom heating bill in the winter and so is more environmentally friendly!

A

alan

OK, it's done. They will now be kept at 10-15C with reduced illumination until early January. Thinking about it, I decided to put them in separate containers so I don't have to worry about the Coolidge Effect.
I normally don't disturb these reclusive animals more than I have to, but since I was transferring them, I took some pictures:

47024.jpg

47025.jpg

47026.jpg

47027.jpg

justin

Reaction score
What kind of containers are you using to cool them, and where did you put the containers? Very pretty animals by the way.
j

A

alan

25x18x10cm plastic boxes with large mesh panel in lid, bark substrate & corkbark hide, small water dish.

justin

Reaction score
Are you placing them in a cold part of the basement or in the refrigerator?
j

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1