N. Strauchii At NY Reptile Show

A

alex

I was at the NY Reptile Show in White Plains today, and to my very giddy surprise, I saw some Neurergus. The guys was asking 85, and they were on the small side, he also had some T. Marmoratus. They were orange spotted though, which i'm guessing is from bloodworms. They said they were captive bred, but who knows.

Thats pretty cool their both neat looking. What other sals were at the show??

It was really limited. There were of course fires. Lots of very nice ones actually. Reptile depot had a slimy sal and some T. Boscai. It was very limited. As usual, i'm sure the April show will have more than this one.

I'm pretty sure the N. strauchii and T. marmoratus were c.b.

And I am pretty sure that if you ask around on this forum and seek contact with breeders you will pay much less than these ridiculous prices. Beware of these money makers! You can better have patience and buy from a breeders directly, it saves you money and you get good advise how to keep them.

Oh, I don't doubt that they could be Michael. They were small and looked recently morphed, but I cant imagine they bred them themselves. They were extremely limited in their selection of amphibs. I was actually wondering if they may have been your stock. They were certainly healthy and the dealer was not attempting to rob peoples money. He actually told people not to buy them while I was standing there. Alex.

HI Alex,
I was at the White Plains Reptile Expo too, on Saturday. I didn't see those the Neurergus)! Were there a lot or maybe they sold before I got there? Boy, I thought I managed to see everything. I got there around 12:30 pm. The only salamanders I saw were Fire Sals. I got a great little corn snake, though.

Keep in mind that NY state law prohibits the sale of native herps. That said, I suspect that the slimy salamander the dude had (and I saw it, but couldn't sequence the DNA in my head) wasn't the species from NY. Probably it was one of the southern species of Slimy.

If ever anyone sees a species native to NY for sale, you may want to let the organizers know about it. It sometimes takes a minute or two to convince them that the species in question actually is native to NY (none of them ever seems to remember the turtles of NY).

This may be especially important this April. Watch of Ambystoma and anything else that might occur in NY. Additionally, I think that tiger salamander is listed as Endangered in NY.

In any case, things to remember.

Greg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back