Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus strauchi strauchi & Neurergus strauchi barani

P

patrick

Hi,

I'm gonna focus myself mainly on Neurergus and tylototriton...so i thought lett me open a new topic about neurergus...

On the end of this week i will gett some Neurergus Strauchi Strauchi & Neurergus Strauchi Barani, I have collected some useable information about these beautiful species.. but i didn't asked for some info on this forum yet..

So Neurergus-keepers could you help me please.. what are your personal experiences with these species.. how do YOU keep them and it what temperatures..Etc.
Some extra information is never bad.
Thanks already

Best Wishes,
Patrick

S

sergé

Hi Patrick,

for me the same question. As far as I know there is not much CB available. And if they are wild caught then I would certainly want to know who has been able to import them. If you have CB animals they will not be too difficult to keep. See caudata culture for some information and also read through the archives of this site as many of the information you want is already been written down.

By the way; with the aid of experienced breeders of this species from Belgium, England, Austria, France, Germany and the United States of America I am collecting data on their experiences with Neurergus strauchii. I hope to finish it as an article this year, and we will surely present the results so far in Germany on the AG Urodela meeting in October in Gersfeld. So have patience.

Sergé

S

sergé

Should have known...they are captive bred in Germany from an experienced keeper/breeder. Good! then they should not be too difficult to keep.

P

patrick

Hi Serge/Joan,

Yes the are CB ofcourse
happy.gif
Today i have received 4 Neurergus Strauchi Strauchi from Austria.
They are looking really good and very beautiful!
At the moment they are discovering the tank and search for there own spot. They are really nice.
I'm looking forward to raise these little guys and i hope i will be able to breed them and help to increase the numbers of these species in captivity.

Tommorrow or the day after that i will gett 6 Neurergus Strauchi Barani from Germany.
I can tell you.. both groups came from very good breeders.

On this forum i can find a lott of useable info
happy.gif
thanks.
Serge, i'm looking forward to see this Article when it's finished. I will be patience.

Thanks for your reactions.
I will do my very best
happy.gif

Gr.
Patrick

J

joan

Patrick, that's good to hear. I was worried.

Good luck with breeding. They need all the help they can get.

P

patrick

The Neurergus are doing very good i see full belly's almost every day i feed them worms, waxworms, crickets etc.. does anyone of you feed something else besides why i feed them?

By the way.. i'm thinking about feeding them maggots but is this a good idea?
Thanks

Gr.
Patrick

E

ester

From what I heard maggots have thicker skins which make them harder to digest. I only used maggots once, as a desperate last resort with some difficult morphs. Back then I pierced the maggots thoroughly before feeding them.

P

patrick

Hi Ester,

Thanks for your reaction.. yes i heard that to i think i will do the same as you say.. but only with the smallest maggots.
Thanks

S

sergé

I never feed maggots, I hate them as food as they are bred on rotting flesh and they don't seem to digest as good as other food items. I also don't think it is food they would naturally eat.

F

frank

Some 15 years ago, I raised a batch of Tylototriton shanjing on maggots and it went perfectly... However, the animals appear to have to adapt to the very thick skin. In the beginning, you can often find undigested maggots passed with the faeces.

P

patrick

Hi,

Thanks for your reactions, i think i will stop feeding maggots just to be sure nothing will go wrong.
I will just feed them waxworms, little worms crickets etc.

Thanks

Gr.
Patrick

P

patrick

Hi,

What other kind of food is good eating by Neurergus species? As i said before i feed them waxworms, little worms and crickets.. if possible i will try to give them more kinds of food.
Thanks

Gr.
Patrick

P

patrick

Hi,

By the way... How many people on this forum keep and breed Neurergus Strauchii?

Gr patrick

J

jennifer

Worldwide, I would guess that about a dozen people have bred them. Many more keep them, though it's hard to say how many of those people read this forum.

Regarding your previous question... when I was raising terrestrial juveniles, I fed them cut-up earthworms placed in a shallow dish of water. They are quite happy to "wade" for their food. I placed the wet dish in the terrarium in the afternoon/evening because I think they come out to eat mostly after dark. Also, I fed them maggots occasionally without problems.

P

patrick

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the info! Yes i always feed in the evening to because that's the time the show there selves, what you say about feeding the chopped earth worms.. i will try that to i think that's a very good idea.. but do you feed tour adult animals this way or your juveniles also? My animals are still juveniles.

Best Wishes,
Patrick

J

jennifer

I am now keeping all my strauchii aquatic year-round, so they don't need a feeding dish any more
happy.gif
I'm sure the chopped-worms-in-waterdish would work for both juveniles and adults.

67709.jpg

67710.jpg

These are two old pictures that I had. The juveniles shown did have some cover-objects (bark), but they were removed for the photo. Also, I usually had the water dish embedded into the soil, not sitting above the level of the soil as it is shown here. This was a temporary setup.

(Message edited by jennewt on July 14, 2006)

P

patrick

hi Jennifer,

Those guys look very good. And the chopped-worms-in-waterdish idea looks nice to.. maybe i will give it a try to.
Could you tell me what kind of food you give to your Neurergus S.
And what they eat the best.

Gr.
Patrick

J

jennifer

Juveniles get blackworms and daphnia. I feed the adults mostly earthworms, but I think they like crickets best of anything. If I hold a cricket under the water, they go crazy for it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!