Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where to get N. viridescens

K

keegan

Does anyone know where to obtain this species easily/ legally?

I am in Canada - don't mind spending a bit of money. Would really rather find captive bred..

Thanks

D

david

If you find any please tell me as i am looking for them too so that i can create a captive bred population in ontario, or just give mine a buddy,
Laterz,
Demon

S

s.t.

You can get them from me...........when they lay again! I'm not selling my adults, but if you want some babies, drop me a line next breeding season!

S

shawn

mine have just bred and are in egg form now once they go through larval and morph i will be downsizing since i have approx 50+ eggs all i ask is you pay shipping and as long as it is not illegal i will ship anywhere at your expense. please check with your local/international laws before asking me to send and if you find information on it please post the link for me to verify or phone number.
Wolfie

N

nataly

I'm also in Canada and searching EVERYWHERE! Did anybody have any luck finding a good breeder?

Wolfie, would you still be willing to part with a few?

Thank You

H

hayden

Nataly i offered you mine but you never replied to my email...Im gonna get more JFBs and put them in the easterns tank.

N

nataly

Sorry about that Hayden, my provider's been going crazy again! I sent you a reply

D

david

is there anyone in canada who can send me any? in canada i can get it next day right?
Demon

J

joel

Wow, looks like they're in really short supply... I am also looking for a place to get some N.v.viridescens.... I'm not sure if it's legal for me to catch and keep, otherwise I'd do that.

I'm pretty sure it's alright to ship in Canada, but i'm looking for Adults, myself... don't know if I could raise them from egg to larvae to eft to adult, without any problems...

Anyone know of anyplace in my area (new brunswick) that carries them... pet store or anything?

J

jennifer

Joel, if it's legal in your area, you will get much healthier specimens by collecting your own rather than trying to get them from a pet shop. I suspect that for every live newt bought in a pet shop, several others die in the hands of the wholesalers and pet shops. Try contacting your local fish & game department to ask about legality or limits on collecting.

J

joel

Wow, I thought the complete opposite. I figured the wild guys would get stressed out and be uncomfortable with captive life. I'll check on our regulations right away. thanks a ton, Jen.

I've learned SO much from this site in just a few days, I'm very thankful to you all, very pleased to have such an invaluable resource.
You guys rock!
happy.gif

J

joel

It'll be hard to catch them if I can, I've only seen a few in my life so far.

I know calm waters near springs are good places to search them out, most places around here are so polluted though.

Any tips on seaching them out, what times of the year, and what time of the day?

My father works for natural resources, so I'll get him to check out the legality of catch and keep, at work tomorrow.

(Message edited by Gwydian on April 08, 2005)

L

lauren

i caught mine the other day, i find early spring the best time to catch them there a weedy pond near me that i go to and i can see dozens swimming around. i dont know if anytime of day is better than another though,
if you dont see them close enough to shore to grab with your hand i would get a net and scoop at the sides of lakes and ponds mud weeds and all then you can dump it on shore or in a bucket and see if you got anything
mine ate the first time i offered food which was the day after i got them,i gave them a few crickets and now their munching on bloodworms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1