Skinny Taricha...

K

kate

Hello all,

I've got two Tarichas, both of which I got from a reputable pet store (at different times). In the store they were fed non-live food, so I continued that (they're HBH Newt & Salamander Bites). My first one, Merry, is quite a pudgy fellow and eats the food regularly, and never seems to have any trouble. But Sam, my second one, has begun to worry me. I've had him for almost two months, so clearly he's eating enough to sustain himself, but he's not nearly as active as Merry, and he's too thin for my liking. I'm worried he isn't getting enough nutrition.
Now here is the main problem. I live in a dormitory and I'm allowed to have the newts on the condition that I don't have live food in my room. Otherwise I'd try feeding them some worms. My roommate is also very opposed to having frozen food in our tiny fridge, but I could possibly get around that. Does anyone else have a solution as to how I could help my Sam?

Mine likes frozen blood worms. I just cut off the cube I want to use for feeding with scissors, that way the part remaining in the fridge always looks neat and tidy.

check the frozen food section of a pet store with an aquarium department.

I'd start with a new roommate and possibly smuggle in an occasional earthworm. If you chop it before entering the building then technically you would not have live food in your room. A minor tecnicality but OJ got off on a hell of a lot less. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back