Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you keep your eastern newt?

E

ester

I've heard several times that red spotted newts are difficult to keep. I'm curious and would like to gain some insights in how these newts are kept in captivity by various people.

How are/were adults kept? Fully aquatic, semi aquatic.. what is the water/land ratio approximately? Any information is welcome.

Also, what food do/did they take.

P

paul

I keep mine in 20L aquaria that are filtered with an air-driven sponge filter. The water level is reduced to about 3 inches lower than the top of the tank.A few sprigs of Elodea are the only decoration, and so they are totally aquatic their whole lives. They eat all frozen foods that I feed my fish such as bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, glassworms, as well as all of the pelleted cichlid food that the fish are offered. I pre-soak and then squeeze the pellets against the side of the container that I'm soaking them in so that they sink. Very infrequently they may get some live daphnia. Their water temperature is probably quite stable at 68-70 F.

TJ

Reaction score
Who told you they were hard to keep? N. v. v is supposed to be the easiest pet newt to keep.

J

joan

Tim, no offense, but haven't you posted a ton of threads on N.v.v. asking about how to keep them? What are your qualifications in making this statement?

J

jennifer

I've had groups of Notophthalmus from various sources for over 20 years. They are "easy" in the sense that they are small, not picky eaters, and don't produce a lot of waste products. But they are a species that sometimes just "kicks the bucket" for no obvious reason. I've never kept any other genus of newts that seemed to be so disaster-prone. Thus, I would not recommend them as easy to keep.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1