I can't decide!!!!!!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
Which should I get a eastern newt or a california newt I plan on keeping them in in a 20 gal. but I can't decide also I am going to make the 20 gal. into a semi-aquatic cage please post pics. of cages if u could.

Taricha is a very nice and active newt but make sure you get at least two of them (preferably a plump one and a slim one).

Noto's are also nice but more shy. In my experience you see more of a Taricha than of a Notophthalmus.

Both need a large aquatic part with only a small land part (which can be floating bark).

Check out www.caudata.org/cc for both aquaria setups and pictures/descriptions of animals.

(Message edited by ester on January 04, 2006)

I've not kept easterns but I do have some Taricha and with my own experience as well as what others have said, I would agree with Ester. They are very active and they swim alot. I have two that live in a 10 gallon (will be upgrading asap) that is filled except for about an inch and a half and it has floating corkbark, which they rarely use. They're mainly aquatic but it's good to have a place for them to rest if they like. Don't go overboard with the terrestrial part though.

You can see a photo of them if you go into the photo section. I believe my post was called something similar to "t. grans and a cynops" or something like that.

Michael,

I'm not sure of your experience with newts, but if you're relatively inexperienced I would highly recommend Tarichas(Rough-skinned or California) over Notophthalmus(Eastern). Rough-skinned newts (T granulosa) are more common in the trade than California newts (T torosa), so you're more likely to get granulosa. In my experience the Taricha genus make for much hardier captive pets than the Notophthalmus genus does. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 granulosas for a 20-gallon tank.

I would put a vote in for the Taricha, they are a great species and they have alot of character

Ester said: Taricha is a very nice and active newt but make sure you get at least two of them (preferably a plump one and a slim one).

I said: Why is that, Ester? Just curious...

Breeding purposes. Plump ones are female, skinnier ones are usually male.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>David Botton wrote on Friday, 27 January, 2006 - 21:43 :</font>

"Ester said: Taricha is a very nice and active newt but make sure you get at least two of them (preferably a plump one and a slim one).

I said: Why is that, Ester? Just curious..."
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

It's not easy finding Taricha g. in Europe. I first only managed to get a hold of one (female). While alone she was a bit slow and uninterested in the world around her. A few months later I managed to obtain a 2nd Taricha g. (probably a male). He was much more inquisitive than she has ever been but apparently inquisitiveness is infectious. She's much more active now and generally looks happier.

Therefor I suggested that 2 might be better than 1 with Taricha's.. and of course.. a male and a female combination also raises the possibility of producing CB offspring
happy.gif

I would agree that taricha's are great newts. They are the quickest to "tame" and now feed right out of my hands. They also seem to thrive in a well set up tank..where as some newts never really seem to settle in.

I did have trouble getting my newts to eat when I first got them.I assume they'd had rough few weeks before I bought them although they were healthy looking. One did not eat a bite for the first month. However, they now both greedily gobble down chunks of worm. I'd love to get a couple more as they do seem to be a "social" newt.

Gorgeous creatures and fun to watch.

Thanks for the help guys I decided on 2 rough skinned newts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back