Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water Change

S

spanky

How often should you do a water change on a 10gal with a filter and live plants.

I

ian

the best answer is almost always with the more the water change the better.
I recommand each week once with 25%-50% water change.

J

joan

Well, if you've got just one or two small newts in an almost full 10 gallon with a filter and live plants and it's cycled, I'd say every other week. You should get a test kit. Once your tank is cycled, you'll have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and then you'll have to test for nitrates, and when they get high, over 20ppm or so, then do a water change.

E

edward

I prefer the dry tab test kits as they are a little more accurate than the dip strips and/or liquid reagents. Just make sure to use the same tubes for the same tests to prevent any misreadings.

Ed

ali

Reaction score
I don't know much about the accuracy, although I would trust Ed's judgement on that. Before reading his post I would have recommended Jungle 5 in 1 test strips. The package of them is about $10 and you can normally get them at Wal-Mart but def. at a pet store. I like those because they test everything and they're easy to use.
I didn't know that they weren't quite as accurate though.
sad.gif

J

jeff

Strips always leave you with a high level of unknown levels, but they can at least tell you when something like amonnia is way off or nitrites are too high. However, I agree that the time it takes to do a complete water test using the old way is still much better. Also, when in doubt, do a water change.

S

spanky

I am going today and look for a test kit. When I test I should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and if the nitrate level is over 20ppm change about 50% of the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1