Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding

S

spanky

How often do some of you feed your Taricha granulosa? I have read some articles that say once or twice a week so not to over feed.I have been feeding mine every day but small amounts. Should I continue or just feed once or twice a week?

E

ester

I guess my T. granulosa regulate that themselves. If they feel hungry they'll eat the offered food.. if not, they pretend the food is of inferior quality and turn their back on it
happy.gif

So far I've been feeding them twice a week or more if they look hungry.

C

chris

i feed mine every other day. two of them split one nightcrawler.

ali

Reaction score
I usually feed mine every three to four days, and let them eat all that they will. I've found that when I feed them every other day, my younger taricha pretends to be finicky and I have a hard time getting her to eat. It's up to you though, if they seem to be doing good with what you've got going on, then I think that is fine.
I don't know if it applies to all animals, but I know that with some fish (particularly bettas) it's good to let them go without food at least one day of the weak so that their system can clear itsself all the way out. Maybe this applies to newts as well? Anyone else have any ideas on if this is true? If so, you could let them go the weekends without food or something like that. Just an idea.

J

jeff

My theory is that you feed them when they look like they can't stand not being fed another minute. My taricha always would look hungry and tap on the glass, but I would only feed him every 2 days. Even then I would need to pick him up and drag him over to the food so it wouldn't spread out too much and get lost. Or use tweezers.

P

pin-pin

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Ester van Strien wrote on Saturday, 24 December, 2005 - 22:38 :</font>

"I guess my T. granulosa regulate that themselves. If they feel hungry they'll eat the offered food.. if not, they pretend the food is of inferior quality and turn their back on it"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

That is exactly how my Tarichas behave!

You can feed them tiny amounts daily or a large meal every few days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1