Behavior

S

spanky

My guys are active all the time is this normal or do i need to add some hiding spots for them.I do have a small current to keep the water moving but the flow is real low.

what kind are 'your guys', this may make a difference in their ideal conditions

Hi spanky, my taricha are active ALL THE TIME as well. I see them hanging out in branches once in a while, but normally they're swimming around like crazy. I just figured it was the behavior of the species.

My Taricha spend most of their time prowling the bottom. They don't do much swimming.

Do you have any hiding spots or will the plant cover be enough?

From my own limited experience, my cynops tends to hide, but my taricha don't do much of the sort. Do you have very large ones in with very small ones? I would definitely recommend hiding spots in this situation. I only have two living together, and they normally hang out on the same plants together. I don't think they'd do much hiding even if they had a better spot. What's your setup like right now? How many newts do you have? What size tank?

My T. Grans are generally out alot. They aren't the most active guys they generally spend the time chilling in the moss or just walking around on the tank floor. They do get very aggressive when its feeding time. They start fighting each other for the food before its even in the water.

I have two i was told they are male an female. Both are about the same size, the female is not as fat as the male. My tank is a 10gal with a cascade 300 filter, small island, live and fake plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back