Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Did someone say mating season?

J

joan

48250.jpg

48251.jpg

48252.jpg

This female is so shapely that the little male can hardly get his legs around her. Keep your eyes posted on the for-sale section :D

D

danny

Great pictures! I just got a male this week and he looks to be about the right size to wrap up your female!
happy.gif
Hes just over 7 inches with a 4 inch tail and a 3 inch body

taricha3.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Nice action shots, Joan!

Danny, is the tail on that guy for real?! The length is amazing.

D

danny

Actually Tim that is for real on the tail length. I was amazed when I first received the newt and Ive never seen such a long tail on a newt before!

ali

Reaction score
Joan! Glad to see the release of your male is going so well!!!! *little newts sparkle in eyes*

J

joan

Dang, Danny. That boy's huge! This male is really small. I got him from a rather sketchy source, and he was pretty skinny when I got him. But he's since put on weight, but is still rather small. But when I came home to amplexus (with the smaller, immature female), I decided it was time to put him in with the females with eggs. He's been in quarantine since the beginning of October, and has been showing smooth skin since shortly afterward. So hopefully the females are receptive!

J

jennifer

That's really marvelous, Joan. And, Danny, that's quite a tail on that newt!

P

pin-pin

Congratulations Joan!
love.gif

Danny, that tail is unreal. I've read that males with longer tails are able to "swim away faster from other intruding males during amplexus."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!