Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My tarichas....

C

chris

here are my taricha grans in their 55 gallon tank.....

44846.jpg

(Message edited by chris_dishmon on October 09, 2005)

J

jeff

That's a nice set-up you got going Chris. It looks like you have two healthy and great looking granulosas.

C

chris

thanks ol' chap! i thing imma add another female to the mix.

J

jennifer

Lookin' good! Do they have a place to climb out above water if they want to? Are the rocks real? They look like limestone, which is OK, but you should be aware of what effect it has on water.

Is that a HOT Magnum filter? I've always wondered if those would work for newts. How did you seal the area around the tubing and hanger?

Did you get the Tarichas recently? If not, don't forget to quarantine the newcomer.

C

chris

1. well now they have a floating island
2. not limestone
3. no it's made by Zoo Med and it's a 501 series filter. kinda like a knock off of the more expensive canister filters.
4. it has a screen top and the holes are trimmed so they are tight around the tubing.
5. no i've had them for a couple months.

whew, i hope i got everything.
smile6.gif

P

pin-pin

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Taricha family.
love.gif

The tank looks lovely. What do you feed your Tarichas?

ali

Reaction score
Chris, your tank DOES look cool, and nightcrawlers are the fave for my tarichas too! I was wondering if you add anything to the tank for your plants. Is that anacharis? It looks AWESOME! Mine doesn't look so hot. I give mine Leaf Zone by API but still my anacharis is slowly dwindling.
sad.gif
I find that hardier plants with big leaves seem to do better. Does anyone else have advice on live plants? Is there a spot on the forum for plant talk?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1