Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

~*! T. grans AT LAST !*~

L

lindsay

<font color="0077aa"><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica"> I finally brought home my T. grans! I think they're pretty nice considering they were the only 2 left. I am so happy I found Tarichas.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me prepare for these guys, I am really enjoying them and I feel like they have a good home. I am already noticing distinct personalities and are so glad they are here with me. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions in the near future
wacko.gif
I'm keeping them in a temporary tank in the basement until I'm done constructing theirs. I am pretty sure they are both female.

One question: The smaller of the two has black coloring on the ends of his "bumps" (rough skin) and the other does not. I have seen photos of Tarichas with the black spots before but is there some type of distinction that can be made between my Tarichas by these black spots or are they a seasonal coloration or something along those lines??

A note: Any coral seen in the background of the photos is only a background, there isn't anything sharp in their tank. Also, when I finish and move them into their actual home, I'll post better photos and ask if they look healthy. I'm making sure I look them over thoroughly because the man who bought the entire stock of Tarichas did not pick these two...I want to make sure they're alright. I'm almost positive they are, I see no wounds, discolorations, behavior problems, etc.

Thanks again, everyone!
~Over-joyed Lindsay
</font></font>
36388.jpg

36389.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on May 29, 2005)

J

joan

Lookin good! I'll post up some pics of my T.grans later this weekend
happy.gif

janice

Reaction score
congratulations, lindsay. so how does it feel? are they eating yet? my taricha has learned some new tricks. first i can now feed her bloodworms from a spoon. even when she is motionless, she will start twitching her tail and then come over to get them. as well, she follows my fingers as i trail them up the side of the tank until she surfaces and then dives. it is pretty cute! most of the time though she is hiding between the filter and the side of the tank. we are going to get a little castle so she has some better hiding places.

L

lindsay

Thanks! Everything's going really well. I'm getting pretty far with their tank and I really think they're enjoying the temporary. They have 4 anacharis bunches in there and a "driftwood" aquarium piece leaned up against the side with Pothos all over it. They really like to climb around on the Pothos. They're eating really well, too. I gave them each half of a medium sized earthworm on Friday. They each stalked it as it wriggled and squirmed in front of their faces. It was great seeing the dust particles shoot out of their nostrils (if they're even called nostrils). The larger one is far more inquisitive and out-going than the smaller one. I went out and got them frozen bloodworms today and they really enjoyed those. The large one will follow me around the tank. I very excited to finish up their tank!

~Lindsay

J

joan

Note, the discoloration around her left eye is a scar. It's not shown any change since I've had her.

L

lindsay

Aw what precious pictures!! My little guy/girl always climbs up on the log and hides behind it in the pothos leaves...when I come up, he/she pokes their head and gives me this look like, "Oh, it's you, got any food??" The other one swims around all the time playing in the water lettuce roots or pawing at me. I had forgotten about the pvc pipe thing! They'll love that! I didn't think that they would actually play with the things in their tank, it's great. I'll post pics soon. I've been busy at work.

P

pamela

Hey Joan, I like that Marilyn pose. Can you "doctor" it so it is not so dark? Sweet face!

Lindsay, so glad you got your newts! I think those two were waiting there just for you! They are so much fun.

Thanks girls
happy.gif

L

lindsay

update: I'm getting close to having my tank ready to hold newts. I'm very excited. I've got some pvc that I'm covering with rocks (much like the ones in Joan's tank in the photos). I am just waiting for the silicone smell to calm down.

janice

Reaction score
i look forward to your updates, lindsay. hope to see your final set up soon!

J

joan

update here: I'm off in search of a boyfriend for my beautiful T.grans. I've got some good tips on where to find them. hehehee

If anyone wants one, let me know. I'm willing to acquire them for purchase cost + shipping.

L

lindsay

Good luck Joan! I got my tank set up!! I'm still working on their pvc tunnel. I think it's coming along nicely. Here's some pics.
36882.jpg

36883.jpg

You wouldn't believe the plants I have in there. They're all live, mostly clippings from work. I have a chunk of water celery in there which is actually doing well, a strip of creeping jenny, a strip of corkscrew rush, pothos, water lettuce, a strip of parrot feather and anacharis and cabomba. The cabomba will probably be replaced with hornwort if it can't handle the cold water. I am curious to see if the all the clippings will make it.

(Message edited by lindsay on May 28, 2005)

J

joan

Tank looks great! I'm going to look for maybe some water hyacinth or more hornwort.

L

lindsay

Our hyacinth at work was a little big, I might swipe a small one soon. Thanks! I'm proud
rofl.gif

L

lindsay

more pictures!

Taricha booty!!
36959.jpg

Wink!
36960.jpg

36961.jpg
36962.jpg

In the water celery again...
36963.jpg

Other Taricha (sam) wading
36964.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1