Question about growth of N.V.V.

S

sean

I wanted to post a pic of one of my Notos to compare size with other members. I am wondering if my Notos could be full grown already.I dont think they are (based on specimens I saw at the Tennessee aquarium) but I am not sure if full grown specimens vary that much. All of mine are the same size and are in the adult stages.According to the Caudata Culture site they do get bigger.
41593.jpg

This is my largest noto, for comparison. I'm still not quite sure if this one is full grown, as I've yet to take any kind of official measurement (despite the tape measure in the picture
crazy.gif
).

42433.jpg

Quoted from the cc pages on notophthalmus viridescens viridescens: "This is the largest variety with adults capable of reaching a maximum of 14 cm in length."

Your largest animal seems to be 4 inches = 10 cm. If they will grow more and how much, I don't know. The color in the pictures seems green which is the adult color. They also seem wet, have they reverted to an aquatic lifestyle?

My Notos stay on land about 50% of the time. I need to provide them with a more suitable land area. They usually sit on the rocks when the lights are off and dive in the water when they come on. They will take crickets on land and bloodworms in the water. I really hope they stay this way. I enjoy watching them explore all areas of my setup. Thanks Jeff for the comparo.That newt looks nice and healthy.Mine has gained more weight since this photo now that I am feeding them a more varied diet.

I'd be pretty surprised to see a Noto reach 14 cm (that's over 5 inches). Here's a photo of my longest-lived N.v. dorsalis (over 20 years with me). None of mine ever got significantly larger than this. Sadly, this shot is a post-mortem.

42545.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back