Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha Granulosa photos (large file)

P

pin-pin

I've been meaning to sit down and make a good post about my sightings of Taricha granulosa, but it's getting close to graduation and I've been swamped. (No pun intended). However, the recent interest in Tarichas have inspired me to make a semi-long post, so please bear with me.

First, I was in a section of Northern California where the snow had not melted. However, the ice cold water (T = 34F) did not deter the amphibians. As you can see, the lake below hadn't even fully melted before the newts came out.
Gran_environ.jpg

Already, the newts were on the move. From the photo below, you can see by the yellow in the iris that this Taricha was definitely not a rivularis. In addition, the other markings (dark lower eyelid, lack of Y-shaped volmerine teeth, and location) indicated that these were Taricha granulosas. It is interesting to note that the belly colour of the animals in this area had a deeper red than other T. granulosas in the more southern regions.
06_newtwalk.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the belly colour, in contrast to my hands. This is a smaller male who was waiting at the edge of the water for a female.
09_harass1.jpg

Despite the temperatures and snow, amplexus was abundant.
08_newtlove1.jpg

In fact, it got out of hand quite often.
blush.gif

10_newtball.jpg

Often the newtballs occurred side-by-side in a shallow section of the water. No eggs were spotted.
shallow.jpg

One interesting trait, described by Petranka, is the "tail curve" of a granulosa versus a torosa while it is in the unken position. I remember this being discussed somewhat earlier this month or last month. I got a shot of a granulosa in the "unken" position. (Go me!)
19_unken_gran.jpg

The newts share this icy environment with frogs and toads. Often, just peeping into the holes, you will find a frog looking back at you.
17_froghole2.jpg

(Message edited by apples on May 31, 2005)

P

pin-pin

Heh. I blame frostbite for my inability to post the photos the first time around. Well, at least I figured it out.

J

jeff

Awesome shots Pin-Pin! Some of those granulosas are brighter and more colorful than my most colorful.

Also, an excellent shot on the regilla, the west coast's most abundant anuran.

P

pamela

Hi Pin-pin!

What a wonderful experience! Great action pictures
happy.gif
. The colors are vivid. It is truly amazing how these animals can handle the frigid temps. Thank you so much!!!!

P

pin-pin

Thanks!

Concerning the group huddling, I was wondering if anyone had seen this for T.t.torosa. I've seen this often for T. granulosa in the wild, but never with T.torosa. T.torosa do congregate in huge numbers in a small area of the pond, but I have yet to see a "newt ball"--aka, multiple amplexus of one female. With granulosa however, I've seen this quite often in the wild.

There is one photo in the berkeley digital library for T. rivularis exhibiting this behaviour as well.

Here are more photos of different congregations.
11_newtball3.jpg

12_newtball4.jpg

J

joan

I suppose you would be so bold too if you were deadly toxic. At least, thats what I attribute their bold attitude to, the fact that no one would eat them.

L

liz

Hi Pin-pin,
When were these photos taken? Just curious if there is still snow up in the mountains in late May.

R

ralf

Superb pictures, Pin-pin. From seeing your pics the term "newt-ball" is very accurate.
biggrin.gif

U

uwe

Hi Pin-Pin,

these are great shots. Especially the Unken posing is impressive and shows clearly the granulosa species. The red bellies look really riv-like, but as you say the eyes are the difference.

see you

Uwe

H

hayden

Awesome Pictures, Pin. It would be great to see those out in the wild. Hope your graduation goes well.

P

pin-pin

Thanks so much for replying everyone. Good to know that there's Taricha-appreciators.
love.gif

Liz, these were recently taken, actually at the end of May. California has had a wet season, but we were also high up (5-6 thousand feet) in the mountains.

Yes, Steve Jobs is speaking at my commencement. heh.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!