Egg bound?

J

joan

Can Tarichas become eggbound? I have one female that I received a few months ago. She's quite chubby, but well fed, so I don't know if it's eggs or not. When I first got her, she was spending a lot of time in the water, and then went terrestrial for the winter. She's back in her water dish again, and I plan on setting up a small aquatic tank for her for the summer. But she's also been acting strangely. This morning, she was out of the water dish, laying on land with her eyes closed completely. Normally she sees me and starts begging. She opened her eyes and looked at me, and then she closed them again, and did not move. When I got home from work, she was back in her water dish again. Anyway, my question is whether I should put some plants in the water, in case she IS developing eggs, albeit infertile.

i don't think they will become egg bound. mine have gotten fat, not laid eggs, then gone back to "normal". i think they just resorb the eggs that had been yolked up.

I didn't think so, but she was looking quite large. I set her up in my 10 gal quarantine tank with LOTS of silk leaves. Even if she doesn't lay eggs, she'll be more comfortable being aquatic for the summer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back