Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha granulosas barking

J

jeff

I don't know if fellow granulosa keepers have experienced this, but mine bark. I found this a bit odd because I've never come across this in any text I've read about them. This occured while transferring them from their 55 gallon home to a temporary tank while I was modifying their set-up. I snagged them out of the water by hand and half of them proceeded to make a bark sound. It sounded like a low-toned Bombona orientalis call, but it wasn't continous- just a "hmmm". Has anybody else experienced this?

P

pamela

Hi Jeff,

"Amphibians & Reptiles of the Pacific Northwest"
by Russbaum, Brodie,Jr., and Storm, state in their text re: Taricha g., "that they have been reported to vocalize". Not that this helps you any, but at least it seems you are not the only one to have experienced this! Aren't you lucky!
happy.gif

J

jeff

Thanks for the info, Pamela. It's nice to know that I'm just not "hearing things"
errr.gif
!

W

william

Jeff isn't it illegal to keep native species in California? I know that it is here thats why I had to get rid of my rough skinned newts.

P

paris

william
-by cali law you are allowed 4 native species, and if they are to breed you need to give those away within 45 days

J

jeff

William I believe laws such as those found in Washington and California are in place to prevent mass collections of animals. If you look at other places around the world where such laws don't exist or aren't enforced in any capacity, you'll find species that have been devastated by mass collections for the pet trade or other purposes (i.g. consumption). There are several turtle species in Asia that have been depleted by such means and are to the point where protection from collection is needed. My point is if you're keeping a few granulosas, which are quite abundant in their native habitat, for personal enjoyment and not breeding them for profit, I doubt government officials will be busting down your door to confiscate them.

J

john

On the mane topic,; I have just recently found a Taricha. I herd it make a small "bark" sound if you will. So your not alone!:D

C

carly

Mine make noises as well. The older one does when he comes to the surface for a gulp of air.
He usually does it more when he's stressed. I wouldn't really describe it as a 'bark' though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1