Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Young Taricha Courting

H

hayden

Im not sure of the exact age of my taricha. Dawn hasnt emailed me back yet. But, my newts have been amplexing and I didnt think they were even a year old. I thought maybe it was just one newt grabbing another but the one on top was rubbing the others nose with his chin/neck. That newt was also flicking the others Cloaca with his back legs. I thought they were supposed to be mature after 3-5 years.

P

pin-pin

Hey Hayden, congrats.
happy.gif

Petranka has listed Taricha species to take more than three years to sexually mature, but in captivity with plenty of food and no predators, they can reach sexual maturity much faster.

However, don't expect eggs just because the Tarichas are having some fun. They're probably just practicing for next year. (Although if you do get viable eggs, share the good news.)

L

liz

Hayden, do any of them have a swollen cloaca? That might indicate a male that is ready to breed. I think its harder to tell with the females. Like Pin-Pin said, they could develop more quickly in captivity. I have some that are 4 or so and they are just starting to breed for the first time, but they are smaller than wild breeding adults.

I'll try to get a picture of the males to show you the swollen cloaca. They don't look quite like the wild males, the secondary sexual characters (tail fin, smooth skin) are not as pronounced.

L

liz

these are not the best pictures, but here goes...

a male cloaca

30268.jpg

a female cloaca

30269.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!