Taricha Granulosa

S

stephanie

Hi,
I let my kids bring home a salamander from our camping trip and I think it is a t. granulosa. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll try to get a photo soon. Does anyone else have this type of salamander? And if so,I'd love to get some information from you and any advise you might have. Thank you.
Stephanie
PS If you are curious and/or want more info on how I ended up with the Sally as a pet--look at my posts in the help section of this discussion board. My posts are under the subject title, "my new pet" or something like that. LOL

Hi Stephanie,

There's a very good caresheet located here on this site:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Taricha/T_granulosa.shtml

Taricha granulosas are hardy animals, unless you do something horrid like boil them alive (80F has been deadly, 78F is pushing it) or don't feed them right or foul their water.

Please do share photos of your animals and also your set-up and we'll do the best to offer suggestions when you do.

Enjoi.

Hi,
I finally was able to get some pictures of my newt. I took them with my cell phone, so they're not the best. Take a look if you want.
http:/www.msnusers.com/mynewt
Today, I bought some danios to put in the new habitat. My newt is so excited. He is standing "perched" on his log watching the fish. He looks like a cat ready to pounce. His concentration is hilarious. I wonder if he thinks he can catch one?
I already described my new tank set up in more detail...it can be found in the help section under the post titled, "our new pet."
Take care,
Stephanie

Tim,
I just looked at the link you provided. Most of the scenarios involved amphibians with other amphibians. The stories of newt/fish combination were with larger or more agressive fish. It was on this website that I found the suggestion to add the danio fish. I'll hope for the best while watching closely.
So far, he seems more excited than fearful. He occasionally swims after them. I think he sees FOOD not a threat. I could be wrong...
What do the other Taricha fans have to say?
Stephanie

I would say you have about a 1% chance of him eating the danio. They are not the fastest of newts! I don't believe it would be a threat, although I am think danios may need heated tanks in the upper 70s unlike the newts which will want it 70 or under.

The temperature requirements don't have a lot of overlap. Your newt will do best if you let its temperature drop to the 50s or 60s during the winter. They might both live OK at a steady 70F, but that's at the edge of the range for both of them.

Steph,

It's good that you're eager to expand your collection, but I think you should really wait to let everything settle down...get to know what conditions are good for Steve.

I'm in the group of "don't mix" but there have been veterans that have mixed without too much disasters. However, I'm for taking your new fish out because 1) if you just got them from the pet shop, you haven't quarantined them for diseases and 2) Steve still hasn't eaten yet (or has he?) and you're introducing a new stressor (even if he seems "excited" about them.)

Take care, remember that Steve is #1 (he being a Taricha....)

And we worship all things Taricha (at least when Pin-pin's around)

I've decided to take out the fish. Steve is still doing fine, very alert and active in the evenings. But I realize that it wasn't such a good idea. Thanks for being so honest with me. At least I can admit when I make a mistake.
smile6.gif

I'll keep ya posted.
Stephanie

What is the update with Steve? Have you been successful at feeding him yet??

Good choice on the danios. While I myself have kept danios at temps of around 60 degrees(though this might explain why my success with breeding was only marginal).

I feel it isn't in good for danios to be in tanks less than 20 gallons as permanent homes. Watch a large tank with a school of around 10-20 and you will understand why. What they enjoy most is wide, opens areas to speed in-the racing stripes are totally appropriate!

Mike: Yeah, for breeding you can use a small tank, but I myself would feel guilty restricting such active fish for long term.

Fish are quite dirty, they are about 10 times as dirty as my Taricha, and their poop gets so clogged in the filter... I keep just one guppie in with my newts, he was so small when he ended up in there but I think he is doing better then any other fish I have put in with them(and ended up stuck to the filter).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back