Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha larvae

TJ

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to acquire several Taricha hatchlings, which I suspect are torosa, from a friend today:

17078.jpg

17079.jpg

P

paris

what do tarichas run out there in japan land?? about 150$ each??

P

pin-pin

Hey Tim! Congrats!!!
love.gif

Do you know what the eggs originally looked like? That is the easiest way to distinguish between the two subspecies. I recall that there should be two lateral lines for T. torosa larvae.

Here's a pic of my original larva.
00911.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Pin-pin, it seems the eggs were individually laid -- not in egg masses -- so would that make them granulosa? I was originally going to acquire the actual eggs from a friend of a friend who breeds them, but couldn't get to them in time.

Judging from your pic and the ones I posted at...
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/17005.html?1087538627 ---I'd guessed torosa, but now I'm left to wonder.

Petranka's book "Salamanders of the United States and Canada" says torosa hatchlings are light yellow with two dark, narrow bands on the back, while granulosa "have a weak, dark dorsal stripe on either side of the body that becomes diffuse and ill-defined within a few weeks posthatching".

Paris, the figure you mentioned could get you a pair of them out here -- a trio if you're lucky.

I haven't been able to find my brine shrimp eggs to hatch and feed the larvae so they are now being "fed" tank crud from a nature-simulating tank that I figure must have some tiny invertebrates in it. I'm also adding frozen brine shrimp hatchlings to the water. Today I'll get some tubifex for them, though they seem still too small to handle any but the smallest of worms, and I'll try to score myself some brine shrimp eggs as well!

TJ

Reaction score
Still trying to get a decent side shot. This is the best I can do for now:

17213.jpg

Leads me to guess...granulosa..
smile6.gif

P

pin-pin

Looks like it's getting some food in its tiny stomach. Yours are definitely grans.

I also initially fed baby brine shrimp (tediously through a pipette)--but only for a week before it got big enough to tackle other foods. I know you're very pro-worm, but chopping up tubifex is really the way to go! It gets the worms in an incapacitated state so they don't crawl away as fast (if these larvae are anywhere as lazy as mine was....). A little blood always helps perk up interest.
lick.gif

Please do take some pictures when they go through metamorphosis. The dramatic color change from green to orange is fascinating.

(Message edited by apples on June 25, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
Well it may indeed have gotten some food in its tiny stomach <u>but</u> its siblings may have become food in the stomach of a C.ensicauda larvae I found in the tub 2 days after adding tank-bottom muck from a "naturalistic" tank. I was dumbfounded when I came cross it as I'd been taking photos before without noticing a thing. I had five larvae to begin with, but can now find only three...
uhoh.gif

P

pin-pin

That's right, the larvae are not as poisonous yet? (I seem to recall that fish and turtles eat Taricha offsprings with ease....)

Speaking of which, it's been awhile since I've done some measurements.

Torosa has other ideas about being photographed
17244.jpg

I'm out of here...
17245.jpg

U

uwe

Dear Tim,

haven´t seen your post earlier.
This is probably T.granulosa larvae (as Pin-pin has said right already).
The reasons: - eggs laid singularily
- T.gran. and T.tor. larvae have as just hatched larvae a two lateral bands, which disappear in T.gran as the larvae grows (as to be seen in one of your pictures). In T.tor.tor. the lateral bands stay, in T.tor.sierrae they stay, but get a little uncertain at the borders.
If you wait a little the difference get more obvious.
I have pictures of all of them, but haven´t them posted yet.

Have success with raising!

See you

Uwe

TJ

Reaction score
Cute Tarichas, Pin-pin. I can't wait for mine to grow up!

Thanks for the info, Uwe! Here they are as of today (well, one of them at least):

17780.jpg

How's that for clarity
biggrin.gif
I seem to get better macro shots with this normal lens than with my macro lens...

TJ

Reaction score
Happy Birthday! I couldn't think of a more fitting gift for you than a Torosa pic
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure I have three left out of the original five, though I only counted two. It seems two were eaten by a C.ensicauda larvae five times their size that slipped into their bowl by accident. What a tragedy! One of the two is now twice the size of the other one.

TJ

Reaction score
I seem to have counted four
biggrin.gif
I sure hope it wasn't a miscount!

17957.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Here are two of them, 1 month after acquisition:

18348.jpg

18349.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
A week later:

18741.jpg

(they've grown considerably in size in the space of a week!)

(Message edited by TJ on July 27, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1