Breeding Taricha torosa; egg laying

V

vanessa

Hey hey,
I was wondering how long it takes for the female to lay her eggs after amplexing. Thanks.
happy.gif

These guys have a reputation for engaging in a lot of amplexus, often without any resulting egg-laying. Such promiscuity! Don't hold your breath.
wink.gif

AWW! (!@*&%$*`123
angry.gif
Curses! Lil punks. Thanks for the info, though. So, if the amplexus is um...for real, do they immediately lay their eggs?

Hi Vanessa,

no they take about 4-12 weeks after amplexus to lay their eggs and this over a time of up to 2 months.

Uwe

Hey hey,
thanks so much for the answer. I've been reading lots of articles on breeding newts, but I can't find much that is specific enough. I eat up everything on this site and kingsnake.com. Any sites\reading to recomend? Thanks again.
Vanessa

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back