Taricha viridescens

K

keegan

In one of my bio labs, I came across a jar labled as Taricha viridescens, apparently collected in S. Ontario (Canada)

Has anyone heard of these before? I hadn't. They were separate from the N. viridescens.

Keegan

If my memory serves, Notophthalmus used to be called Triturus right?

thought id add.

Cataldo

Thanks Nate,
I hadn't heard that name, and I had also never heard of any Taricha's being found in the east (is that correct?)

What exactly am I looking at, when I view your link there? Is that a listing of every scientific reference to the species now known as N. viridescens?

If that is the case, it looks like you are right Cataldo.. they have been called Triturus, as well as Diemictylus, and a few other things.

Keegan

Hi Keegan, Taricha have never been found in the east, correct. More than likely, the person who labeled that particular jar didn't know much about newts and didn't care...I've run into a similar thing at my university herp collection with Typhlonectes caecilians being labeled as Dermophis, Xenopus labeled as Pipa, etc.

Yes, you're looking at the complete name history for the newt we now call Notophthalmus viridescens from 1819 to the present. They've even been called Salamandra.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back