Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is it illegal to collect or sell Notophthalmus perstriatus?

R

ray

I was interested in Notophthalmus perstriatus, the striped newt. Is it illegal to collect or sell these newts? Are they ever bred in captivity?

N

nate

N. perstriatus are currently protected in the state of Georgia (State Endangered, I believe), but not protected at all in Florida. They were also a candidate for listing as a federally threatened species in the last couple years, but it appears that candidacy was either rejected or stalled. In the last few years, several new populations have also been found.

They're an extremely rare newt and to my knowledge, nobody is keeping them and nobody is breeding them.

Just a quick thought: While I'd love too see a breeding colony of these guys established in captivity and offspring ending up (for free) in the hands of capable breeders, anyone who collects wild adults for the intention of selling needs to face a firing squad.

(Message edited by nate on November 27, 2003)

(Message edited by nate on November 27, 2003)

R

r

Although N. perstriatus is not specifically protected in FL, they are VERY rare. I know of only 6 or 7 remaining populations. All, save 1, are on public land. If your intent is to take them for commercial purposes, you will need a permit from from the US Forest Service to be in compliance with laws. It is OK to take a few for private purposes. Rgds/Dick

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1