Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New paddletail newts and tank

A

audrey

I came across some paddletail newts when I was out of town and I bought four of them. I didn't know how aggressive and territorial they are until I got home and did some research. I have them in a 30 gal. long tank and I put lots of hiding places and plants in there. (I don't have real plants yet, but I'm trying to find the right kinds for low light and temperature and haven't had much luck)I am hoping that this tank will be large enough for them. I have had them for six days now and they haven't shown any aggression yet, but I read it takes them a few weeks to start acting normal. Does anyone have suggestions for me? Thank you
66456.jpg
66457.jpg
66458.jpg

S

s1ren

Some people have two together without any problems, but generally, people advise that you separate them, especially when there are more than two.

It looks like your have tons of good hiding places - in some cases, that helps.

Just watch them closely, and if you start seeing any agression, give them thier own tanks (your tank looks pretty long - you could also get a divider and make that one tank into two discrete living spaces for two of them).

*sigh* I miss the paddletail I used to have. He was the most "interactive" newt I've ever owned - so playful and interested and active! I am SO grabbing the next one I see for sale in my town.

Good luck with yours!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1