Regeneration

H

heather

I have had my P.l. for well over a year now, and was wondering about this species ability to regenerate lost limbs. When I first got her, she had a stump for a front limb, and now about 15 months later that stump has only produced 3 very small fingers. I was checking out the articles on limb regeneration on caudata culture, and it seems the species, or at least the individuals, shown there grew much more rapidly. Is her lack of regeneration typical of the species, or is it just her? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Heather

Hi Heather,

I have only witnessed regeneration in cynops and pleurodeles species and both were very rapid. Was the animal in question a juvenile or adult?

She came from a pet store and was bought for me as a present from a friend. Though she has gotten more chunky, I don't think she has increased in length so I think she was an adult when I got her. Hard to be certain on age when they come with no known history. The gimpy limb doesn't seem to bother her - she is as quick as greased lightning when food in introduced to the tank!
Thanks for the reply though, Jim

Hi Heather,
have had limb regeneration at an juvenile Mertensiella caucasica, within some month - no difference to a "normal" leg!
Have also seen the regeneration of an more than 15 years old Cynops pyrrhogaster sasayamae tail. Within one year, the tail regenerated, but little bit shorter.
Paul

regeneration is not going to be perfect-esp if the wound creating the need isnt. there are text book examples i have seen of regeneration that do it right-but these were cut off by lab workers at precise points -not fallen off or bitten off. with wild type wounds you will not usually have a new perfect limb-it can be stunted, have bad joints or too many/too little number of toes. i wouldnt worry about it.

Sounds good, and thanks for the comments. I have not been too worried, just curious. It will be interesting to see if, since so much time has past, if there will be any changes in the stunted limb now or if its reached some sort of developmental plateau
Heather

Very interesting, Jen. The second to the last photo looks much like how my P.l's limb looks. I guess I just didn't pay much attention to that set of photos when I was perusing that article

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back