Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachytriton (identification)

L

leonardo

I've recently (about 1 month)got three nice Pachytriton...
The person who I took them from told me they are labiatus, but they are rather different from the usual labiatus...
they are light-brownish on their backs, while the belly pattern is different between sexes: while both male and females have cream-whitish bellies, only the male has little black spots. one female has a single, small dark spot, while the other one (which is more similar to a normal labiatus) has a very pale "normal" pattern...
I'll post photos soon, is there any particular aspect that could be useful to identify them?
from the photos I've seen on the web, they seem to be Pachytriton "A", but I'm not that sure...

Leo

L

leonardo

here are some photos of my Pachy...anyone has suggestions about their species?they seem more Pachytriton "A" than "labiatus"...but ay comment is appreciated...
46685.jpg

46686.jpg

46687.jpg

L

leonardo

form the pics of "sure" brevipes I've seen on this site, I think they are quite different from P.brevipes, even if I was not that sure when I got them...

Leo

PS
they were imported with other newts that are more typical "labiatus", even if those were a little different, particularly about dorsal/ventral coloration

TJ

Reaction score
Hmmm...they look to me like funky-colored P. labiatus....

Y

yago

Hi Leo
I have a group of laviatum exacly like those. It is a reddish variety of laviatum.
I will post (if I have time to take the pics) several photos of different pachytritons including this one, C, D, brevipes and a black new form.
Greetings
Yago

L

leonardo

I've seen different photos and sites on the web, but I've not found anywhere a "key" to distinguish labiatus from P."A"...anyone here has?

by the way, here is a photo by Thiesmeier of a Pachytriton A which quite resembles my male...
46830.jpg

and here is my male...he's still not in full breeding dress...the pair is been kept separeted in two different tanks outdoor...when I put them together for a few minutes (just to clean their tanks and to take some pics) the male immediatly started sniffing, chasing and fanning the female...I'm hoping for a spring breeding...
46831.jpg

bye
Leo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1