Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No respect! sheesh......

P

paris

sure i go through the whole process of buying clay pots and chiseling out by hand holes in the side, then smoothing the holes so each of my 2 new pachys (the 'D' kinds) can each have something nice to set up in(they had PVC pipes and a plastic tree hollow before)......

30542.jpg

i put one each into the pots to make sure they knew it was theirs,and where do they choose to hide???
30543.jpg

heres a photo of one of the ingrates (the male).....
30544.jpg

S

sebastian

By the size of the pot and the sizes of your newts, it seems apparant to me that your newts are much too big for the hiding space you built for them!

J

joan

You'd be surprised the small spaces newts can fit into. It may be that the pots are actually too big, and they do not feel 'protected' in them, as they do under the rock. I know mine prefer to hide in the plants rather than in their pots. Ingrates.

P

paris

those pots are recommended as hiding places and also as egg laying chambers-the holes are made small so the animal can feel safe in them as its easy to protect

P

pamela

I LOVE that face!
happy.gif
The pots are nice little homes too! Maybe they want shutters, or a picket fence, or....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1