Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachys shedding?

D

dannie

I've had two pachys for around 5 months or so now and they are doing great. However, I've read posts on this forum that say their pachys shed. I've never witnessed mine shedding since I purchased them nor have I found shedded skin while cleaning their cage. Is this a good or a bad sign? I purchased another pachy a couple days back and he has already shed. I'm a bit confused on what is "normal" for them. I thought they didn't shed since they were fully aquatic so their skin was always moist and "stretchable"?

P

paris

nope -they shed about every 3 days or so. some newts are lazy or distracted and will not always eat their skin. usually it is eaten as it is shed-they will step out of it and roll it down to their tail and pull it from the tail tip with their mouth-this usually results in immediate ingestion of the skin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1