Paddletail Newt babies

C

claire

Hi there!

I'm hoping someone can help. I have just looked into my tank, and I have baby newts!!!

What do I feed them, do I need to seperate them from the adults, can someone offer me some advice, I have not had anything like this before, and I don't know what to do!

Thank you in advance

Newttoallthis

We are fairly sure that they are Paddle Tails and not Fire Bellies. But looking at the pictures we are now not so sure. They have the characteristic paddle tail and orange mottled markings on their bellies, so we assumed they were.

The pet shop had both when we bought our Paddle Tails.

Will cut up frozen (defrosted first) bloodworm be O.K for them? We do not have anything else, and don't have the time to prepare Brine Shrimp?

How long do we need to continue doing the daily water changes? We go on holiday in 3 weeks, and do not have anyone who can continue such a regime. Will this be the demise of our newts?

Thanks for your help

(Message edited by Newttoallthis on January 23, 2005)

Raising newts on chopped frozen bloodworm has been accomplished, but most never learn to take food that doesn't move. If your vacation is more than a few days long, they don't stand a chance, particularly using non-live food.

I'd say leave a few of them in the tank with the adults, and they might accidentally survive.

one suggestion would be to fill the tank with daphnia? and keep the babies away from the adults, how long will the holiday be? i realise the daphnia will not help the water quality and there may well be casulties but i suppose it's better then leaving them with the adults

There is another way. If you only have a few larvae (~10-30), put them in a 20 l aquarium (any other big container will do) with lots of live water plants and sufficient light. You shouldn´t change more then 1/3 of the water every other week. They´ll live on the small organisms on the plants till they grow big enough to eat defrosted bloodworms. At least a few should survive your holliday that way.

Another question,

If we put the little guys into a small aquarium, should we have a substrate? We have had conflicting advice regarding this, some say yes, some say no. If yes, what sort of substrate is best?

Also, we are currently feeding Cyclops, because it is so small more than anything. Obviously because they are so tiny, it is very hard to know whether they are eating it or not. Is this a good food stuff for them?

Thanks again

NTAT

(Message edited by Newttoallthis on January 28, 2005)

Jennifer,

In answer to your question, I have done some internet research, and we think that our newts mostly resemble the Paramesotriton Deloustali.

What does this make him? Are they Paddle-Tails?

Could they be something else that is similar to a Paramesotriton Deloustali?

Thanks for your help and advice.

NTAT

Most likely they are some other species of Paramesotriton. The deloustali are very rare, so that is unlikely. Look at all the photos of Paramesotriton at:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Salamandridae.shtml
If you are identifying them based on the belly pattern, several of them can resemble deloustali.

Cyclops are a good food source, although there have been incidents of cyclops eating larvae. It probably depends on the size and type of cyclops. If the larvae eat the cyclops (and not the reverse) they are great. For your vacation, you might want to put them in a large tank with cyclops (and any other live food you have), and they may do OK. I agree that live plants will also help.

If you are just now setting up a new tank for the larvae, I would recommend no substrate. In an older tank, the substrate may be "growing" micro-organisms that are beneficial, but a fresh substrate will just get in the way of cleaning.

How soon is your vacation, and for how long? If the new tank reaches the worst of its cycling period when you are gone, this will not be good. Use some ornaments and such from the adult's tank, and that will help establish the biofilter. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

O.K, We have had a look at the pictures, and other than the Deloustali our newts resemble Paramesotriton hongkongensis, except the tail isn't right.

As far as an alternative tank is concerned we have a tank set up and cycled etc... Our concern is that the current substrate is sand, which we have been told is no good for newts.

Should we remove this, and just put in plants in pots?

Thank you for your help.

NTAT

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back