P. labiatus hibernation?

R

rose

Hi, I was just wondering if paddletail newts need to go through a period of hibernation? If so, how would I simulate the proper environment? And is it a good idea to even try if 1) I have no intention of trying to get my newt ready to breed in the spring and 2)he's 3 years old already and has not gone through a winter dormancy period yet? I'm afraid that it might affect his life expectancy if I don't let him hibernate, or?

In other words, does a newt need a hibernation period for its own health when breeding is not an issue. I doubt that anyone has a scientific answer. My opinion is "probably not". What are your normal summer/winter temperatures in the room where he is kept? Certainly cooking at 75F year-round might take its toll.

Hi Jennifer,
In summer here it gets pretty warm--I've had to combat temperatures of 80 degrees F in the tank once or twice. In the wintertime, it usually drops down in the house to about 60-65 degrees F.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is scientific evidence that even year round temperatures shorten longevity in temperate species which normally experience a winter cooling period (brumation if not hibernation). I couldn't cite a publication to support that though.

Darn, I was afraid of that... if this is true, would there be a way to start giving the newt a dormancy period without buying a chiller for the tank? How cold would it normally be in the wintertime for P. labiatus? Obviously, I would have to start doing this next winter...

Pachytriton live in mountain streams, which are usually cold, but I've been told that there are no temperature data for them. Anyone know of any?

What are the normal winter/summer temps in the room? I'm not sure why you need to start next winter, you still have a couple of months to put him someplace cooler, like a basement or garage. Maybe you can open a window at night? Just don't put his temperature down to that of the garage suddenly.

My gut opinion (totally unsupported by data) is that, he stays below 65F in winter, that should be enough for good health. But I don't know for sure.

Well, actually, my newt's back home, but I'm abroad until mid-summer. That's why I figured I'd better wait until next winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Pachytriton, I have one at work that is over 15 years old and the temperature runs from about 72 F in the summer to about 62 F in the winter.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back