Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paddletails: filters and "caves"?

K

k

I have a pair of paddle tails in a 128 l tank with an internal Eheim filter. The filter, however, is a few years old and I think it's slowed down a lot. Cleaning it hasn't helped, and I'm considering buying a Fluval 3, instead.

The Eheim has a max output of 500 l/h, the Fluval 3 700 l/h. I'm looking for opinions of whether this is an appropriate flow or if it might be too much, even for so-called stream dwellers. Any opinions on Fluval in general would be appreciated as well.

Also, my tank is decorated with tree roots. I don't expect my newts to breed, but since the male is certainly interested, if worse comes to worst so to speak, would the female be content laying her eggs on tree, or does she require "stone caves", i.e. rocks or flowerpots?

thanks,
Kalaila

H

hayden

Hey there Kalaila...I use a whisper Power filter for a 20-40 gallon tank in my ten gallon with a pair of Pachys...There has been lotsa pachy questions on here...People must be realizing they should all have pachys...Anyways...I have Live plants and Silk plants and When mine laid eggs they did it on the silk plants...I now have caves though and they are supposed to lay them in caves but plants are much easier to take out so You dont have to disturb the Eggs so much...Good luck with your Pachys and Email me with any questions...

K

k

Hi, Hayden, thanks for your answer. Yeah, I know they're said to lay eggs in caves; that's why I asked. Sounds like they may not be too particular, though.

Kalaila
---

K

kristen

I've requested to buy a paddle tail. Will the set-up I've put together for a Vulgaris work okay, or do I need to start over if she agrees to sell the paddle tail to me? I am getting very confused, as I am a novice, but read all I could here and online info about vulgaris, purchased a home piece by piece very carefully, and now cannot find one. Thanks, Kristen

H

hayden

It depends, I would definately make it 100 percent aquatic. Vulgaris would be mainly terrestrial.

P

paris

i returned a response to kristen's email but its returning as an out of office message, so i'll post the info here.
well first are you sure the specie you wish to buy from this person is a pachytriton labiatus? 'paddle tail' is a common name and is given to several species of pet store newts-even those outside the genus pachytrition. the closest on the web care sheets i could find on them was the siren intermedia-but the temp needs to be lowered by 5-10 degrees. i have been asked before to write a care sheet for pachys, and i should do so over x-mas(ive still got animals in temp cages right now-and sick ones too-so im still busy even though school ended).
the habitat of these in the wild is cool medium flowing streams, these streams are nutrient poor-very clear and not too much to eat-hence why they are so territorial and aggressive even toward females. i keep my pair in a 10 g tank that has an air stone at one end that is turned up high and makes lots of bubbles, they are kept about 60 F, the have several tubes and java moss to hide in from each other (this is not necessary for a single one-they do like to have one 'home' to hide in but plants are not natural in their normal habitat.) i have one floating lilly pad or piece of cork bark in every tank with the newts so that if they need to rest at water level-if they are weak or sick-they can.most have a sponge filter and some have a box filter-the box is the best for water quality-and flow is regulated by the pump-i like to keep it high to keep the water very active and oxygenated. remember colder water holds more oxygen than warmer-till it gets down to 4 C/34F, these have smooth skin because they do engage in some cutaneous resperation. this is a fairly hearty newt-one of the reasons it does so well on the pet trade-so they can get by with minimum tank effort for quite long. hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1