Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tenants - P. brevipes

P

paris

jen's gonna love me for this one.....ok here are lots of new pics i took today of my 'brevipes' i am fairly sure that 5 of them are those, and the 6th one?? well ill leave it up to you guys to decide. i will post them individually -one post each and give them names like 'pbrev1' to help in referring back to them, after this stint-i will tap into my other pachys so jen can have lots of pics to choose from.

so here is pbrev1-this is definitely a male-and he is LOUD! a very pretty boy(sorry about the glare-polarising lens can only do so much)
15536.jpg

and from the side
15537.jpg

15538.jpg

and here is a shot of his belly-most of these brevipes seem to have little to no orange there...
15539.jpg

and finally a character shot
15540.jpg

P

paris

ok here is one i will call pbrev2, of my 6 i ordered, 3 had mouth ulcers and this one is one of them, this one also is a male....ps i need captive care hints on them from you europeans, i am told they arent as aggressive as the labiatums, but my 'pachyB's' seemed to get along at first but then squabbles over?? broke out and i lost a few before they all got separate tanks.
here is a full body shot
15550.jpg

and here is a belly shot-not a good pic but the only one that came out-this one is more orange than the rest
15551.jpg

here is a side view
15552.jpg

from the front the belly doesnt look as orange-its a difference in lighting again
15553.jpg

here is a good head shot from above
15554.jpg

hes got a pretty ugly mugshot from the side due to the mouth ulcer
15555.jpg

and finally look at this!-a worms worst nightmare!!(you can see the ulcer clearly here)
15556.jpg

P

paris

ok time to post pbrev3 here, i believe this one to be female. the spots are getting more muted as i advance in number
here are some full body shots
15565.jpg

15566.jpg

15567.jpg

15568.jpg

here is her belly shot-its a bit washed out since it was taken outside in the sun
15569.jpg

despite her head currently being wider than the torso i believe this to be a female
15570.jpg

(Message edited by paris on May 17, 2004)

P

paris

and on to pbrev4 here, again i think this one is female-not many pics of this one
here are some body shots
15575.jpg

15576.jpg

and a belly shot
15577.jpg

P

paris

here is pbrev5, i believe this one also to be a female -she is very dark so her spots are hard to see
here are a few full body pics
15584.jpg

15585.jpg

and a belly pic
15586.jpg

and a head shot (she also has a mouth ulcer-its odd they all have them on the same side on the lower jaw)
15587.jpg

since she is so dark and they are hard to see here is a close up of her spots
15588.jpg

P

paris

and finally my last in the batch-this one does not appear to be a brevipes-the belly is far too orange and it has no spots-i will call it pachyX
full body shots:
15595.jpg

15596.jpg

15597.jpg

here is the belly shot
15598.jpg

and finally this one...sort of trippy...

15599.jpg

P

paris

side note-pachyX, after i placed her into her new set up (a 5 gallon tank) within and hour she changed to a paler colour-like caramel, just like my others, i will get pics later.the rest are still in their temp containers-so i havent had the chance to see if they change colour yet.

P

paris

update-wont have more pics for at least a few dys-those took me about 7 hours from photo start to post! i work with a Dr from china, Dr Chang, i have often told him about my newts and sals, he says that in china salamanders are know as "WA WA". this is a phonetic term used to denote their 'cry'-like that of a baby. he says this is what his grandfather calls them so i am unsure if its a local name or an accepted cultural identification for them (like the term 'water dogs' here-in reference to the fact they are supposed to 'bark')

J

joeri

7 hours? OMG!

But the result is awesome. Thank you for sharing Paris.

TJ

Reaction score
Ditto. And that pic of the one with its mouth open wide is priceless! I have a pair of these myself and they're fantastic sals. Each has an overturned pot with a hole in it to serve as a "home", and they spend most of the time under their respective pots. I've observed no fighting between them.

P

paris

well along the lines of salamander 'vocalisation', that picture gives the impression that IF they had a voice they would have to sound like a FOG HORN!
yawn.gif
could you imagine the myths that would have evolved around them in ancient times? i bet a whole lot less people would have gone into the woods at night!
errr.gif

P

paris

how big a tank tim? and are they a pair or same sex?(if so which sex)

TJ

Reaction score
It's a somewhat odd-shaped 60cmx45cmx20cm tank in which they have lots of room to themselves. I use a Fluval filter with it. Here it is almost empty at cleaning time:

15757.jpg

They were purchased as a pair but I haven't really sexed them myself.

15758.jpg

15759.jpg

15760.jpg

P

paris

tim-in that picture that has the 2 together-the one at the top is definitely an adult male, the other??-it looks by its tail that it might be a male too-hard to tell if that is just a light area or a spot (which can be very light-see my second post pbrev2). how long have you kept the 2 together? do you see dominance display between them? when one approaches the other and fans its tail alot does the other ignore it or run away?-females (labiatum/pachy b's) will just sit there and ignore the males, which encourages the male display where as another male will turn and run and will then get chased and bit-i will have to watch my guys to see if they behave like that too-even if to a lesser degree. i plan to put 1 pair in a 15 gallon tank and 1.2 in another 15 gallon-perhaps a spare 20, depends on space/availbility.

TJ

Reaction score
Errr...this is kind of embarrassing to admit as I've had them for a while, but due to the location of their tank, I really haven't been able to observe them carefully. In fact, I've yet to see any tail fanning, period. This could be because of lack of observation or because I indeed have two males. My understanding was that males have the white blotches on their tails.

If I have two males, that'd be a shame as there were some gorgeous ones being sold recently that might have allowed me to breed mine. On the other hand, my hands are full with the larvae and morphs of other species so I don't really need more work!

I'll see if I can't get around to putting up some tail and cloaca pics over the next couple of days
wink.gif

(Message edited by TJ on May 20, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
I moved them to a new tank last night, much roomier than before:

16340.jpg

(the sparsely furnished one on the bottom)

Now, I'll be able to observe them regularly
biggrin.gif

TJ

Reaction score
As for sexing, it appears I do have a pair, but let's see what you and others think.

Here is the one I think is a male:

16348.jpg

16349.jpg

16350.jpg

16351.jpg

16352.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1