Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A surprise!!

P

paris

for those who dont know i am currently moving, soon all my animals and i will be together in the same place. recently it has been cool here so i turned off the a/c and opened the windows slightly at the old place. lights are not on timers anymore and the arboreal set up is not getting as watered as much as before-i went to go move them yesterday so moved the tank off its rack and checked on the male and female by moving their logs- the female was back under her main log and had 2 eggs near her head, i found the male under a different log. i thought this may have been a fluke of left over eggs triggered by the changes recently, but i had the tank in the hallway for a while while unloading others and i noticed her tail sticking out upside down! i havent moved their tank yet (except back into the locked room) and i hope the car ride wont shake down the new eggs, i will check how many she now has though just out of interest.

R

russ

Interesting, another fall deposit. I wonder if the can double clutch with increased nutrition? I'll have to watch mine, though I have seen it in past seasons.

P

paris

checked on her yesterday am and she was still laying! i ended up knocking her off since i didnt think she would still be doing it 24 hours later-i saw a whole new clutch about an inch from the first 2 eggs she laid, it may be my perception but the do look slightly smaller than before-then again that may be because they are newly laid....

E

erik

Well I guess I am not the only one with a summer/fall clutch. Great news Paris. My eggs are still progressing nicely, looks like at least 15-20.

P

paris

the odd thing is that this is my only breeding couple-and she laid about 5 months ago! before it was a 2 year gap between clutches and now she does it in less than 1/2 a year....

J

john

You've been feeding her well!!!
biggrin.gif

P

paris

here are some pictures i took today from the clutch-much smaller now...
46232.jpg

46233.jpg

P

paris

oh yeah, worth noting, again the male and female are shacked up together in the nesting area, they do not normally stay under the same hide together and when she laid the eggs she was alone.

R

russ

Any updates? I keep checking my large female, she's full of ova, but that's normal this time of year for a spring deposit.

P

paris

eggs are toast.....dont seem to have been fertilized-no development seen and they just faded away and molded....
48426.jpg

P

paris

both stayed with them the whole time-but she ceased eating the bad ones a while back-i removed them now

TJ

Reaction score
Ah, too bad, but at this rate maybe you'll be getting another clutch by spring!
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1