Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slender salamanders (Batrachoseps)

TJ

Reaction score
I spent a couple of hours in the Monterey area looking for salamanders and came across these. They were easy to find in damp locations under logs.

15354.jpg

15356.jpg

15357.jpg

15359.jpg

15358.jpg

There seemed to be at least two variations:

15360.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on May 07, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
I'm told that only B. luciae is known to occur in the Monterey area so I'm assuming that's what they are. They were found under pretty much any log heavy enough to retain some moisture underneath, such as this one under the tree:

15440.jpg

15441.jpg

15442.jpg

I found that the conscientious way to search for them in a dry environment like that of central-southern California is not to just kick the log over and leave it there or to restore it haphazardly, but to, as best you can, put it back in the same way it was before being disturbed so that the microhabit doesn't dry out. This generally entails removing the sals while the log is being reset and then finding a space for them to slip under again
wink.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Here's a cute lil fella that was small enough to fit into my wife's wedding ring (and she's got very small fingers):

15446.jpg

15447.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Another habitat pic:

15451.jpg

The area was generally very dry, though there was a small creek:

15452.jpg

Try as I might, I failed to find any Taricha or other sal species
sad.gif

D

david

Those are everywhere in Sonoma and Napa Counties as well. And I do mean everywhere. Everywhere that looks anything like the habitat pics you've provided, and there's plenty of that up here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1