Oregon ensatinas

A

alex

i have two males and one female and i would like to breed them. does any one have any tips on breeding ensatinas?

Set them up on medium western landscaping bark with some cover. Make sure the container has good ventilation, but not so much as to not hold some humidity. I don't try to mimic the natural moisture cycles of CA, but give them a natural light and temp cycle. I believe the biggest issue with Ensatina is not disturbing the female in the late spring prior to deposition. It seems to cause them to either consume or retain their eggs.

RUSS

Best case, Oct-Dec ~60F, Jan-Mar ~50F, Apr-May ~60F, Jun-Sep ~70. You can go into the 40s during the low period and try not to go over 70 for the summer. Check the upper and lower levels of the room you keep them in for temp variations, my room changes 8 degrees from the ceiling to the floor, this can be used to your advantage.

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back