Arboreal salamanders

A

alex

does any one know where i can find some arboreal salamanders.

your other post was cancelled cause it was a repeat of this one-so here is the reply i made for that one.....
cali pet shops cannot sell native species-so no luck there. i got mine from a friend who was getting rid of them, ive only ever once found one in the wild and it was in <<font color="ff0000">locality information edited</font>> cali, waaay east. to find them outdoors you will need to go to national forest land or private land (with permission) and have a fishing license for that day, then by law (as it was written 3 years ago) you can have 4

(Message edited by mike_g on March 18, 2005)

mike-did the 'locality' have to be edited? its a city, not a distinct place. i mention it because according to my range maps at the time there were not supposed to be arboreals there-i was hoping by the casual mention that someone might tell me i was either dreaming (in which case i had truely found one outside its native range) or they would tell me they arent that uncommon that far east and my map needed updating.

Alex

Arboreals are found throughout the canyons east and north of you, though not commonly reported. Not that they're rare, just the habitat there is a little more limited than along the coast further north. They've even been reported as high as 6000ft in the San Gabriels. With the weather you all have had this winter they should be out and about.

RUSS

In addition, if it is a range extension then in all probability it would be a small population that could readily be impacted by multiple people collecting in that area.

Ed

nah it wasnt a big issue mike-i just wanted to know why thats why i explained myself - i didnt want to give locality info an i dont intend on telling the world in the forum where to collect critters-but the place listed is a city, and im not sure exactly where i found it (if i had crossed over to another city w/o knowing) so it caught me off guard to get edited - i was wondering what i did wrong.

im not doubting your point (and i really didnt think of eds point)-and editing is your right as a moderator, but also by bringing this up in a public forum you can inform others of the sensitivity of this issue - i believe public debate is a necessary teaching method (my mother was on the debate team in high school and college (my childhood)-so i am tilted that way) its better to have many people know of where the line lays so that they do not accidentally cross it (and possibly take it bad when corrected), i know im a romantic on this but i do believe it is more for the common good to tell more than less.(but i also do agree there are bad guys who will exploit situations out there too)... so we can say 'x' county as an ok reference right? i am asking this because many sites will post county locations, and i myself like this because it gives me an idea of pattern variance across regions (the guy i found at in this city had practically no yellow spots btw).

Even if some told me that species x was in area and it was a large area, I could probably deduce where it was by looking at the habitat.....

Ed

do you think i would be able to see some around forest falls.

yeah ed, but you are waaayyy more educated than the casual herper..
wink.gif
...i guess its fortunate youre one of the good guys!

what is arboreal salamander habitat.today i went to the san gabriel mountains and all i found where slender sals, ensatinas and california newts.

When i lived in california i could not find arboreal salamanders at all,all i found were slender salamanders and ensatinas.They are very hard to find but i got lucky and got a tip from a guy who came in a pet store with one asking what to feed it,and he told me where he found it.Even after going to this place i still only found 1 per trip if i was lucky.If you look them up on the internet they will tell you what habitat and where they are mostly common.If you email me I can give you a few tips on what habitat to look for them in,my email is supercaudate@aol.com.

does any one know the names of any good spots to look for arboreals in southern cali.
crazy.gif

Have you been following this thread *AT ALL* Alex?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back