Help w/ sex of Shovel Nosed Salamander?

M

marcus

i just recently purchased a shovel nose salamander and cant seem to find anywheres online how to determine the sex of them. also i have a female paddletail newt in the same tank, if the shovel nose is a male do different species happen to mate, any help would be appreciated thanks alot.

so far they have been fine together and seem to be playing, actually the female paddletail killed the other female paddletail within a few days of being in the tank, and the 2 different ones are fine next to each other.

Sounds great, I wish them a happy time together...
They are playing? Probably a game called who can rip a limb of who!

somebody needs a hug
violent.gif

And somebody needs to separate his newts/sals
kiss.gif

(Message edited by Jesper on December 14, 2004)

i did do my research. been into newts for yrs seeing how there all over my back yrd. the shovel nose and paddle tail have been in my 29 gal tank for about 3 weeks together now fine. they sit and swim next to each other with no problems. the guy at the pet store has never had problems with them, he has had about 7-8 different kinds in same tank for couple months and he said they never fought and everyone got along fine. i asked b4 i bought them both. i appreciate your help and everything but i was asking how to determine sex not how to take care of them, cause i know how to and they are fine cause both of there surroundings, food and etc. are similar and they love there home so thank you your input.

1.) I doubt you'd get interspecies mating if your Shovelnose turns out to be male.

2.) Look here for determining sex:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sexing.shtml

3.) Pachytriton labiatus are fiercely territorial and will not bat an eye at killing any tankmates. I've got two that I have to keep separated because it'd be cruel to leave them together with the idea that "maybe" they'll be good. Pachys have been known to actively hunt and kill anything that is in their territory. They've also been known to kill members of the same species just for fun.

Pet stores do not generally know how to keep caudates and usually only put them together in tanks long enough to sell them. And do not put it past a pet store clerk to make up a story just to make a sale. And if the pet store clerk who sold you your shovelnose told you he's kept 7-8 species in one tank "for months," I would bet he's lying. If that were the case, the casualty rate in that tank would be enormous.

You are taking a chance at keeping these animals together, especially if you openly admit that your Pachy killed its previous tankmate. Aside from the fact that they are from two different parts of the world, like Mike said, and have different needs, if you blatantly don't care that these species should not be mixed, you probably shouldn't have gotten any newts in the first place. It's extremely irresponsible to keep these two species together, ESPECIALLY if you know that your Pachy has killed before. If you had done your research as you claim you did, you would KNOW that Pachytriton labiatus are one of the more aggressive species.

I would suggest taking both Mike's and Jesper's advice, or you will have casualties. In the short time I had my two Pachys together, when they would "sit" and "swim" next to each other, it meant that one was antagonizing the other. In those two days, I had to pry limbs out of mouths on several occasions.

Just because you've had them together for 3 weeks doesn't mean that they'll magically get along together and be "best friends forever." Sooner or later, like both Mike and Jesper said, one of them WILL kill the other and my money would be on the Pachy.

I doubt you'll take my advice either, but I would suggest you check these links out:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/toxin.shtml

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/newt_toxins.shtml}

(Message edited by dot on December 15, 2004)

the only species mixing i do is when one of the species is intended as the feeder.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back