Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bolitoglossa

F

flavius

Hi,

Does anybody have info on keeping these beautiful salamanders?

T

travis

Overall the info that I have gathered about Bolitoglossa is just don't keep them unless you are prepared to have a large well planted set-up and plenty of money to burn on WC adult animals that will most likely just die on you for no particular reason.
It is a bummer,they seem like such an interesting group of salamanders.
Some people get lucky have them do ok but that is the exception to the rule.
-Travis

E

edward

It is possible to establish the available bolitoglossids without the large planted set-up as the biggest problem is due to lack of fat and energy reserves to overcome the stress of being acclimated. They tend to need very frequent small meals to prevent refeeding syndrome which causes them to blow their tails and die.

Ed

F

flavius

Hello,

Many thanks for the advice, sorry for the delay in reply I have been away working.I currently have four in a large well planted viv,humidity at 80% day temp high of 80 night low of 75degrees. Sprayed twice a day, feed on number 3 brown crickets (should they be dusted with nutrobal?)

What is blown tail? any idea where I can find out some reference material?

once again thanks foe the help.

F

frank

If you obtain Bolitoglossa, watch out for chytrid infections! We recently described an outbreak of chytrid infection in B. dofleini. Symptoms were very atypical: lifting hands and feet from the substrate (webs slightly swollen) and tail blowing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1