Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Black belly sal pictures

P

paris

i am just moving my sals to a new set up, so since i have them rounded up and my new cam , i thought some pics would be in order. i only have 3 left of my 6 i collected in 2000. i am unsure of gender-but all their vents look alike, and i cannot see a'chin'gland, but 2 are very chunky, and one less so.i am on battery right now-so the screen is darker, i am hoping this wont throw off my image correction and i havent made them too light, ill have to see later on once i plug my computer back in.

here are some head shots showing their distinctive white spot pattern
13727.jpg

13728.jpg

and here is a pic from above showing the beautiful black and brown marble pattern
13729.jpg

here is a full body pic -all of mine have regenerated their keeled tails
13730.jpg

and here is a picture from below of their name giving belly along with a view of their 'cornified' toe tips (is this another word for 'keretinised?')
13731.jpg

and finally this head shot cause its too cute and soulful
13732.jpg

N

nate

...cute and soulful until it gets a hold of a different species of Desmognathus (or a smaller sibling) and proceeds with a crocodile death roll.
lick.gif

E

edward

It doesn't even need to be a smaller sibling if there is more than one male in the cage.
Ed

P

paris

i thought it would appeal to people who are really fond of small dogs
animal.gif

nobodys commented yet on the rainbow on the side of the one that has the pic from below...check it out

J

jennifer

Do they always have the cornified toe tips, or is that a breeding seasonal thing?

E

eddie

How about showing the whole setup you got them in,those are very good pics but show some more
talker.gif

N

nate

They always have the cornified toe-tips, it's an adaptation for stream life.

H

henk

We had the luck of finding some of those on my first appalachian trip and I have to admit they are bulky and impressive guys. Difficult to catch (quick ..). they were more in the water, whereas we found D. monticola and fuscus fuscus along the sides. I really love that brown drap sometimes even brassy coloration, plus those large eyes ...

P

paris

ok here are a few more pics, this time of their new set up. there is some foam in the set up since it was a new tank, but i used all rocks and plants from the old set up. the previous one was a seepage but since they never bred and i had to hunt hard to see them with a flashlight, i decided on this more open approach.i have moved the tank to an area of cold air flow-dropping them by 10 F lower than they were before.

here is a view from head on to show open spaces below water level.
14412.jpg

here is a shot from another angle
14413.jpg

if you look really really close at the set up to the side of the bubbles you will see one already staked out in its new territory, for those of you who cant see it-here is a pic up close
14414.jpg

E

edward

Hi Paris,
The one time I got reproduction from them they were set up in a very wet but totally terrestrial set up. The female laid the eggs suspended from a piece of cork bark. The clutch did not hatch as a coworker of mine transferred the clutch over a water bowl with the result that the clutch was abandoned.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1