Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Grotto pics

N

nate

Here's some more photos of my T. spelaeus. These guys are definitely a pain to photo. Spring is in the air so I wanted to show you all what I'm seeing...

Good ole Mr. Pink
14216.jpg

Jaw muscles are even more enlarged than usual... approaching Aneides proportions even? You can't really see it in the photos, but the dorsal ridge of his tail has become a little more enlarged too near the region where E. multiplicata have the enlarged hedonic glands
14217.jpg

My newest, most secretive individual. Still don't know its sex yet.
14218.jpg

This animal was very beat up and emaciated when I found it. Life must be brutally hard in the caves. You can still see some scars on its body and on its tail especially, but it's slowly bulking up.
14219.jpg

This is my female.
14220.jpg

Notice in this photo and the last you can see the creamy hint of eggs through her side! Let's just say I'm "happy" about this development and fingers are crossed for a summer mating.
biggrin.gif

14221.jpg

I have a 4th adult, but it was behind the rock wall and didn't want it's photo taken. This one is very light like the big male. Typhlotriton do come in various shades of pink, grey, and brown.
smile7.gif

14222.jpg

J

josh

Great Pics of A Great Species Nate. I just love that name, Mr. Pink

TJ

Reaction score
Very cool, Nate. Beat up by what? Fighting amongst each other in the caves? Do the larvae of this species have direct development or do they go through a larvae stage?

N

nate

Hi Tim, I think they get beat up by each other, crayfish, fish, and there are also some pretty formidable cave invertebrates. Not only that, but where these guys exist in bat-less caves, the food seems to be exceptionally scarce. It really depends on the cave and the fauna present I'd think. I've certainly seen big, healthy adults in caves that do not appear to have any scars or troubles finding food.

I should mention 3 of the 4 adults I have were collected above ground in a spring, after heavy rains. There is no visible cave entrance anywhere near this spring. Seems that the "stragglers" tend to get flushed out from underground at this particular site. All 3, including Mr. Pink, were very thin and covered in scars.

They have a very long larval stage. There's some photos of the larvae at the Caudata Culture species entry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1