Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Batrachoseps

B

brian

Has anyone ever kept one in captivity. I'm thinking of putting food out in my backyard near where a few live, but I'm not sure what they can eat.

N

nate

Hi Brian, lots of people have kept them in captivity. There's really no point in trying to leave food out for them because they're essentially living underground and under rocks and logs. They only eat tiny, moving prey like springtails, small flies, termites, etc.

B

brian

I'd be interested in how people have kept them in captivity if anyone cares to go into detail.

I mean I have some ideas in theory, but they are so secretive it seems. A lot more then the Aneides species or Ensatina.

Actually the reason is I'd like to observe some behavior and even the ones in my backyard are hard to observe without disturbing them.

N

nate

I personally kept them in plastic storage containers with tight-fitting lids. Inside, I placed about 2 inches of packed, moist soil, leaf litter, and a few rocks. They'll do very well in this sort of setup.

B

brian

Oh, OK thanks for the info.

One more question. How much do they typically eat assuming it's a adult?

N

nate

I'd guess a decent sized adult could eat 15-30 fruitflies if it could in a sitting. I've never tried to feed one until it was satiated in one sitting. Generally I just let a bunch of insect loose in their terrarium and let them forage as they please.

H

henk

In the wild we found quite some during our Oregon trips. Almost all of them were found in moss or underneath and in rotting wood (redwood). One thing was also clear : if the wood was kind of pulverised we didn't find any at all. Probably since such woodstubs (although well wed and carrying many hiding spots) actually didn't carry much other invertebrae (food).

just loved those tiny little guys , but since I mainly feed my salamanders worms I was not immediatelly interested in trying to keep them... oh what a narrow mouth they have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1