Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about two-lined/longtail sallies (Eurycea longicauda/cirrigera)

S

steve

Does all the Eurycea larvae (longicauda/cirrigera to be specific) actually take 1-3 years to transform into a terrestial sallie?

Also, how do you know how far along they are? Mine are about 1/2"-ish and very short gills, they love to run from light and burrow under gravel.

Steve

*I know i have around 3 posts, but these questions are bugging me.

N

nate

Hi Steve, longicuada usually take 4-8 months. E. cirrigera can take much longer, up to 3 years. There's really no way to tell how old they are for sure, you can only guess. But captivity usually makes them grow and therefore mature faster due to increased food supply, so you can shorten this period.

S

steve

any way to know which larvae (longicauda/cirrigera) i have?

*also: they have all four legs and short gills.

I gave them around 3-4" water,planted,moss, and a rock to climb out, WILL they climb out and STAY out (on rock) when ready to be terrestial?

N

nate

Wait, are these the same larvae we're having the Notophthalmus discussion about? If so, I highly doubt they are either.

If not, it's difficult to explain here. I've had larvae of both and can distinguish them in person, but I'd be hard-pressed to explain the differences to you here. As they approach metamorphoses though, they acquire the pattern of adults. So if cirrigera, they'll develop the two lines along the back typical of adults.

P

paul

I don't know if it's too late, but try emailing Ronn Altig. He used to teach at Mississippi State University and specialized in the larvae of frogs and salamanders. You can email him at rga2@ra.msstate.edu

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1