Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I now have walti!

J

jeff

finally!! I got my p.walti today and I am pretty happy i must say. They certinaly have there own little personalities, and they float pretty good too! I love it when the mouth opens up. I guess thats all I have for now, I will post some pics when I get a chance. Does anyone else think that they smell?

al

Reaction score
Pleurodele waltl is one of my first newts I have kept. I've had this colony for 6 years and had bred them several times. I think what they lack in color or appearance, they make up for it in personality. They are very robust newts and active. They are one of the easier species to keep and I like that they remain mostly aquatic. Good luck with your pet. I'm hoping mine will breed again next year.
Al

J

jennifer

Congrats, Jeff. If you mean that the animals themselves smell, I never noticed that. But animals often smell when they arrive from shipping (or when handled), as the stress has caused them to release some toxin. If the whole tank smells, then you need to worry about contamination. They are big poopers, so having the tank cycled and kept clean is important. If the tank is cycling with the newts in it, it would be advisable to keep tabs on ammonia level. Enjoy, these guys are a lot of fun!

J

joan

Al, what they lack in appearance? You must mean the fact that they looked like someone stepped on some poo and gave it eyes.
rofl.gif
In all seriousness, these guys are very personable and fun to watch. I've a friend who has some, and he has mentioned something about them having an odor about them, but since I don't own any, I can't say.

J

jeff

I realize I have spelled waltl with an "i", am I going to be banned???
errr.gif

update- the little ones are doing quite will, however they spend alot of time swimming and pawing at the glass. I think its due to the fact that they don't have much in the tank yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!