Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fighting

D

danny

Hello there, I have 4 P waltl newts all four range from 2.5 to 3inches long, whenever I feed them they all start to fight and follow one another. They do not hesitate in biting each other and today I had to pull two apart after one clamped onto the others front leg. The tank is a 15gal and plan on getting another one when they get bigger so I can two tanks with a single pair in each. Are they over crowded right now as it is? Will I have to take each one out separately and feed them individually? Thanx

P

paris

its not uncommon,-the size of your tank is fine for them for right now, they just have a disposition to get over excited about the food-my observations is its not aggression just hunger-my shanjings, tailengensis, tarichas, hynobids...etc all do it-even my pleuros, but unlike the hynobids and tigers they are not prone to grabbing a limb/tail by mistake and then still eating it. they usually do fine in groups-i know of a guy who has 8 adults in a 55 gallon tank w/o any issues, you may just want to feed them less but more often so they wont be as aggressive for food.

J

joeri

My pleuro's tend to fight for food as well. However it doesn't seem that they really hurt each other. They did give me a scare the first times they bit in each others face - but no harm was done. For some reason they don't do that anymore, only biting in the legs still happens.

It looks scary indeed and in my case what Paris advised works - feed more often, but less. If they are very hungry they'll go into a frenzy for food
violent.gif
so try to reduce the hungry feeling between feeding sessions.

D

danny

Thanx for the advice! It was scary to see one newt in a death roll bitting his tank mate! I will try to feed them half portions everyday instead of a full portion once every two days
frog.gif

P

paris

since they are so young-feeding them more will result in a faster growth rate-although it will require more filtration/water changes as a result.

D

danny

For the filter I have a fluval 2 in there. I modified it to cut down the output flow. It takes in the same amount of water as I can see stray blood worms float readily into the filter intakes on the sides. These 4 dont miss a thing, after the feeding "frenzy" is over they calm down and form a horizontal line almost. Just like looking at combines in a field, they comb the gravel for anything they might have missed! haha not much syphoning of leftovers here!

D

danny

For the fluval 2, its really easy. You separate the filter housing from the pump/output. Then you take the filters out(should be two halves). Once the main part is empty you should be able to look inside, when you move the blue switch that controls the output flow, you will notice it will stop after it hits a little black piece of plastic. I just took a hobby drill and drilled a little bit out of the middle of it. Then I took some needlenose pliers and just twisted the little nub off. Cleaned it extra good after to make sure no little pieces of plastic would be left. Now you can open and close the output as much as you like! Enjoy! If I had a digital camera I would be able to take pictures to make it alot easier to understand.
happy.gif

mike

Reaction score
Thanks for that Danny. I'm not familiar with that model, but won't that drastically effect the flow rate, and therefore the efficiency of the filter?

D

danny

I havent noticed the efficiency of the filter has changed in any manner. When the newts are swimming around and kicking up food or when the plants loose a leaf they are sucked right to the filter intakes. I havent turned the filter output right down to the minimum yet, just enough so the P waltl can swim around alot easier
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1