Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New To Newts Pls Help

S

scott

On a trip to montreal I found some Spanish Ribbed newts at a large pet store, I live in maine and have been wanting a lizard like pet for the longest time however I live in a dorm room and all pets must be mainly aquatic, I think they would make great pets. Upon returning to the states. I set out to my local pet stores where I received strange looks at the mere mention of a ribbed newt, I have some found online vendors but do not wish to put an animal through the stress of shipping, my biggest concern however is the legallity of this newt in my state, would anyone out there be able to tell me if this newt is legal and if not suggest a legal alternative?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Maines regulations are kind of odd. They have a list of of restricted reptiles and amphibians and a list of unrestricted wildlife. Supposedly if your animal isn't on the unrestricted list you need a permit. Many of these laws are poorly written. P. waltl isn't on the unrestricted list. I didn't see any salamanders on the list. The law isn't enforced as written. I don't think you would have any legal problems keeping P. waltl in Maine. I do think you will have problems finding any for sale locally.

S

scott

Could you please tell me where I could find this list, and what do you mean the law isn't enforced as written?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!